Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • can i grind a bit off my brake pads?
  • sadexpunk

got a slightly sticky piston, which just needs a bit of a nudge before it comes out but then its fine. but with a new set of pads its sticking out just a little too far to start with and the pads are tight on the rotor.

pads are 2mm thick each. is it an option to push the pads against the flat side of a grinding wheel, just to take half a mill off mebbes? or am i asking for trouble?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Maybe better to sort out the cause of the sticky piston? it's only going to get worse and under your solution up there you've just got rid of a quarter of a brand new pad.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Why not just fix the problem of the sticky piston rather than wasting a load of paid for pad material and risking taking the ends of your fingers off trying to grind a brake pad?

sadexpunk

ive tried sorting it. took it to peices and nearly blew me and my mates heads off when the piston shot out under a bit of compressed air 😉 like a f**kin bullet it was 🙂

cleaned it all up, bled brakes again, but still the same. looking like a new piston and seal to fix it, but thatll probably cost the same price as a new set of brakes 🙂

ive got 3 sets of oro pads already, so i figured its a quick fix on a set until i get the time and inclination to sort it out properly :-/

sadexpunk

hmmm just been having a play using 'process of elimination' and it looks like its made worse by the pin that goes through the pads. its binding on them a bit, so when the pads come out, they dont retract so easy.

which means its probably a bit of an easier job now. ill have to get a little round file in there and widen the holes a bit. i hope 🙂

robhughes
    Free Member

Why not put an angle grinder on the piston.
    perfect fix. ha,ha.

taka
    Free Member

whay tou need is one of thease:

use it then you dont have to think about buying some new brakes you will "NEED" to buy some new brakes 😉

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Hi,

If they're mono m4 pads I can grind them down for you…… free of charge…

Cheers

Elmo
    Free Member

If they're Mono M4 pads, i HAVE some ground down ones!……..i'd be willing to swap.

I feel we could forge a long term relationship.

You just need to send me a new set of pads whenever your in need!

sadexpunk

looks like problem sorted my sarcastic young friends 🙂

basically, whenever i tightened the pin up that goes through them, it pressed on the pads and stopped them retracting. so ive had to just nip it up rather than tighten it. what i really need is that little circlip that goes on the end, to make sure it doesnt come loose. but ive lost it >-(

accident waiting to happen really arent i 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘can i grind a bit off my brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.