Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can I give my dog Ibuprofen?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

He seems to have a slight limp on his right front leg / shoulder that loosens up after a few seconds (arthritis perhaps?) but only in the last 2 weeks.

We have tried joint chews but he throws them up.. 🙄

Tried Glucosomide but he chucks them up too. .. 🙁

Wondering if he can take Ibruprofen to take any swelling down that he might have.

Golden Lab weighing in at 32kg's or there abouts

steviep
    Free Member

My vet told me not to give ibruprofen but that paracetamol is ok. Cant remember what ibruprofen did but it wasnt good.

bruneep

http://www.merckvetmanual.com

Ibuprofen, 2-(4-isobutylphenyl) propionic acid, is used for its anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, and analgesic properties in animals and humans. It is rapidly absorbed orally in dogs with peak plasma concentrations seen in 30 min to 3 hr. Presence of food can delay absorption and the time to reach peak plasma concentration. The mean elimination half-life is ~4.6 hr. Ibuprofen is metabolized in the liver to several metabolites, which are mainly excreted in the urine within 24 hr. The major metabolic pathway is via conjugation with glucuronic acid, sometimes preceded by oxidation and hydroxylation.
    Ibuprofen has been recommended in dogs at 5 mg/kg. However, prolonged use at this dosage may cause gastric ulcers and perforations. GI irritation or ulceration, GI hemorrhage, and renal damage are the most commonly reported toxic effects of ibuprofen ingestion in dogs. In addition, CNS depression, hypotension, ataxia, cardiac effects, and seizures can be seen. Ibuprofen has a narrow margin of safety in dogs. Dogs dosed with ibuprofen at 8-16 mg/kg/day, PO for 30 days showed gastric ulceration or erosions, along with other clinical signs of GI disturbances. An acute single ingestion of 100-125 mg/kg can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, and anorexia. Renal failure may follow dosages of 175-300 mg/kg. CNS effects (ie, seizures, ataxia, depression, coma) in addition to renal and GI signs can be seen at dosages >400 mg/kg. Dosages >600 mg/kg are potentially lethal in dogs.

Or call the vet

coolhandluke
    Free Member

So that's a no then!

Thanks for that excellent answer

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our dog takes Rimadyl daily and has no problems. She loves them too (I think they flavour)

anjs
    Free Member

yep onother thumbs up for Rimadyl

djglover
    Free Member

Biscuit?

sarahkeast
    Free Member

I used to give my old dog Jr Tylenol [in USA] 1/2 tablets, she was about 30lbs old border collie. Vet said it wasnt great for her kidneys, but as she was old, other stuff was beginning to go wrong and she was clearly in pain, it was probly worth it. She lived about a year + taking it on and off and definately was happier to be comfortable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3rd ridamyl (i think, i'll ask my parents what he's on), has side effects with long trem use but he's so old if they dont get him somethig else will.

trick for getting them to swalow tablets is to dip them in honey (or anything else they like)

WTF
    Free Member

Tell it to DTFU.

Hope that helps.

hot_fiat

rimadyl seems to be a very effective long term anti-inflamatory/pain killer, but I do worry about the side effects.

Gonna look into some complimentary medicine to run alongside it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can I give my dog Ibuprofen?’ is closed to new replies.