Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • can i ghetto my 700cc rims with bmx tubes. After all it worked on my 26inch
  • firestarter
    Free Member

and they are only a bit bigger 🙂 anyone tried it . Ta

I_Ache
    Free Member

24" tubes would be easier.

firestarter
    Free Member

not as easy as the bmx ones that are already in my cupboard lol just not sure i want to cut them if its a no go

grumm
    Free Member

I really don't reckon I'd want ghetto tubeless running at 100 PSI or whatever – surely it could be nasty if it went pop?

firestarter
    Free Member

oh its not on roadie its for my 29er mate

used 24' on mine & had to use coompressor to inflate, track pump couldn't inflate that much volume

I_Ache
    Free Member

20" would be too tight.

I accidentally used 16" tubes for my first ghetto and it was too tight. 24" or 22" are the way to go for 29ers.

firestarter
    Free Member

ta mate 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

well i tried it yesterday with my 20 inch tubes from the shed and success of sorts . the rear went straight up and held the front wouldnt go up even with the compressor

the bead was just too slack to get any air in . prob a good job as it really was a bit too slack to ghetto it should work great tho with actual tight beaded tubeless tyres rather than the old bonty standard ones i tried using last night 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Just pack under the rim tape with a few rounds of gaffer tape.. Sorted!

firestarter
    Free Member

oh these tyres are slacker than a bag of knackers id be too worried about them blowing off i think really

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

TBH the amount of sidewall and tread tears I've got running bonty tubeless ready tyres has got me well over their cheapness. I'd avoid them for tubeless unless you plan on running 60psi!

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah im gonna check out some other tubeless 29er tyres see whats about

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Don't know what nextdaytyres.com have for tubeless 29ers, but I ordered a maxxis medusa at 4.15pm yesterday, and sure enough it was here today! Does what it says on the tin I guess…

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers fella i'll take a look

TooTall
    Free Member

I used a 650 tyre with success on a 29er rim. Bonty Jones ACX are poop for tubeless, so look at the tyre used too.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive ran 26 bonty acx ghetto no problems but the 29er one was way too slack

sadexpunk

i take it those were the tyres you got off me mick? theyre shit for tubeless are they? 🙁

thats a shame mate. altho im pleased you found out rather than me :-p

firestarter
    Free Member

yes mate 😉 and i bet you are lol ive converted all sorts before but not 29er ones the 20inch bmx tube was spot on size wise but the bead was too slack tho the rear went straight on and sealed it was just the front i couldnt get on. i only tried as i got 3 or 4 punctures the other night and cant remember when i last had one as the other bikes are tubeless but ive some spare tubes now and some patches lol so back to the old fashioned way til i get some other tyres

actually ive got a set of 1.8 xr tubeless ones from the crosscheck i could use on it over winter mmm

hows the wholetime move looking mate ? weve just started a 5 year period of no recruitment due to funding cuts ;-(

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've been warned against attempting attempting normal road-bike pressures e.g. 90+psi. I suspect narrower rims make it harder to get initial inflation too.

sadexpunk

ygm mick

mboy
    Free Member

Non Tubeless Ready Bontrager 29er tyres ain't half loose on the rim aren't they! I'm betting the tubeless ready are a lot better obviously… On all my 26" bikes I've currently got Bonty Tubeless Ready tyres and I love them, so will probably be doing the same with the 29er soon.

Incidentally, I ghettoed a 29er Kenda Blue Groove DTC 2.2" tyre the other day, the bead was plenty tight enough (on a Mavic TN719, one Velox cloth rim tape, 24" inner tube) although the tyre was VERY porous, like most Kendas! Still, 24 hours and a load of sealant later, it had fully sealed and now holds air totally.

firestarter
    Free Member

maverickboy i painted the inside of the tyre with sealant before i installed and it seals as good as a tubeless one i find (so long as its not as slack as a wizards sleeve on the rim) oh and i no longer need that rear cog so dont worry about it 😉 i found one in stock cost more to bloody post than buy mind lol

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘can i ghetto my 700cc rims with bmx tubes. After all it worked on my 26inch’ is closed to new replies.