Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can I get away with….
  • ready

Wearing my biking helmet to go skiing in? Don’t really want to splash out on a ski specific helmet that may only be used every couple of years.
    Will I look like a fool??

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

yes.

aracer
    Free Member

TTIWWP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get a cheap one from decathalon or something, no vents and fluffy ear covers for the win

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes, but then i once went snowboarding wearing a very rambler styled berghaus walking jacket as it was the only waterproof I could lay me hands on without spending any money. One of the best weeks boarding I’ve ever had.

vincienup
    Free Member

Not rated for it so may cause insurance woes.

I wouldn’t as the impact case design isn’t really the same. If you aren’t planning to go regularly, consider hiring… Bear in mind helmet life also and even uncrashed a several year old lid is suspect.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Meh, £50 or less and you can buy a decent enough one. Hiring will cost you as much in a trip or two.

Ski/board helmet will be much warmer on the ears than a ski helmet and you won’t look quite such a tit.

A full face will be warmer, but very heavy for skiing, and again look like a tit wearing one.

vincienup – Member
    Bear in mind helmet life also and even uncrashed a several year old lid is suspect.

So manufacturers say anyway, which coincidentally sells more helmets 😉

Though ski helmets are somewhat different in construction to a regular bike lid and not so prone to the degradation they get. They’re more like a full face in some ways.

kevj
    Free Member

I’m sure Aldi recently did adult ski helmets for around twenty quid? Surely you will find stock of 1 somewhere?

They get fairly decent reviews considering the price point.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ll sell you a once-used aldi one for 20 posted, i found it a tad tight on the back of my bonce

ndthornton
    Free Member

Don’t wear one
    Make the most of the fact that this is still just about socially acceptable

ads678

If you’re hiring skis and boots the shop will probably throw one in for free.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make the most of the fact that this is still just about socially acceptable

Own experience content…
    Having slipped an edge on ice a few years ago and split a helmet and got a he’ll of a shock I wouldn’t bother without one. Also too many other idiots out there.

jam-bo

Not rated for it so may cause insurance woes.

did I miss helmets being made compulsory on the slopes?

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve used a full facer with the vents taped up, but spent £50 or so on a ski pisspot and it’s nice to have the warmth from all the extra fluffy bits, and the convenience of not having a full face.

By the looks of it, full face ski helmets can be very similar indeed to mtb full face helmets, and tbh I can’t really imagine that smashing my head off a rock on the side of a ski slope would be much different to smashing my head off a rock on the side or a trail. Any helmet will be better than no helmet (unless it chills your brain and makes you do silly things).

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If you are going anywhere where it might be cold (i mean really cold) you’ll probably not get enough on underneath it to stop you freezing. Unless of course the helmet doesn’t actually fit properly.

We bought a couple of top end burton helmets a few years ago, in a sale. 30 quid a pop, reduced from 85 iirc.

rhid

http://www.tkmaxx.com/mens-ski/black-matte-ski-helmet/invt/02049736

TKMaxx do loads of ski stuff cheap. Poc Helmets for £40 too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Anyone heard of Michael Schumacher?

legend
    Free Member

For visualisation reasons, I feel we need to know exactly which mtb helmet we’re talking about here

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

did I miss helmets being made compulsory on the slopes?

Bike helmets aren’t compulsary but if you have a crash and get a head injury your insurance payout will be less if you aren’t wearing a helmet .

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Stop being tight. £30-40 is really not a lot of money to not look like a total douche.

As has been said, they are warm too.

Lets say you have it for 10 years, you wear it for a week every 2 years that’s 5 weeks. or 35 days. That’s £1 per day…as a skiing cost that is a drop in the ocean.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Anyone heard of Michael Schumacher?

Is that the guy that suffered catastrophic brain injury while wearing a ski helmet?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Is that the guy that suffered catastrophic brain injury while wearing a ski helmet?

That’s him. Maybe not wearing one and being dead might have been a better option? Who knows.

I think the point was he was a very good skier, skiing an innocuous bit of terrain and it can happen anywhere, anytime to anyone. Better to try and protect yourself as best as possible.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’ve got ear pads for my TSG evo and it was toasty at Hemel snowdome

grum
    Free Member

I’ve been boarding a few times in a dirt jump helmet I bought in a sale from CRC for under a tenner – no issues other than your ears can get cold as they have no earmuffs. Wearing a buff underneath works fine though.

I fail to see how these differ much from snowboard helmets:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/helmets/dirt-jump-helmets

legend
    Free Member

grum – Member

I’ve been boarding a few times in a dirt jump helmet I bought in a sale from CRC for under a tenner – no issues other than your ears can get cold as they have no earmuffs. Wearing a buff underneath works fine though.

I fail to see how these differ much from snowboard helmets:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/helmets/dirt-jump-helmets

They don’t, other than the ear warmers.

If you want to go for the East Coast look, size up and shove a hat underneath. Extra padding for the crash innit

toby1

Cheapo lids

Surely a better option than none or one that isn’t meant for or fit for purpose!

BoardinBob

Picked up a Spinner snowboard helmet from TK Maxx for £25

It may just be snake oil but insulation aside, I did read that the plastics used in a skate helmet are not suitable for the very low temps you may encounter up a freezing mountain.

oliverracing

I wouldn’t. I very rarely go over 30mph on a bike, but quite regularly go 60mph+ on skis, plus I’ve had more head hit the ground incidents in one ski holiday than I’ve had in 5 years of mountain biking.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can I get away with….’ is closed to new replies.