Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I get a little help Re: Possible Windows Virus
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hi all!

Been workin’ hard the last few weeks [hence the absence], but right now I figure here’s the best place to ask – so I’m back

There’s a funny sound coming from my Windows machine today – the Windows Explorer navigation sound. Not in itself unusual, but it’s happening in Chrome, a second after I close a tab. It it accompanied by something flickering across one or both of my screens. It’s too fast to see, but look like it might be 2 frames of a window minimising animation or something like that.

I am running MSE and did a full scan yesterday, as it happens. Found nothing. I am aware MSE is possible to outfox and so am now running ESET Online, which hasn’t finished yet but after scanning the boot drive it says “No threats found”

It might have been happening for a few days and I wouldn’t have noticed as it takes the DAC a second to lock on to the optical O/P – today I heard it because I had some sounds running very quietly in the background.

I am very suspicious it’s a virus or similar. I’m glad I can use the Chromebook in the meantime!

Has anyone seen/heard this before and know how I can track it down? Is there a way to track a process to a sound? My Windows Volume Mixer jumps at the sound, but it occurs across all the graphs.

Also, here’s a .gif I made of one of my shrimp swimming, with rolling vortices in her wake and baby just behind her. Shot with burst mode on my Fuji HS10.

Cougar

Does it still do it if you unplug the keyboard?

sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt?

System Restore to before it started happening?

martinhutch

Took me a while to work out that your shrimp gif was completely unrelated to your virus issues.

Are you running ‘ a d b lock ‘ on Chrome? Sorry – STW doesn’t even want us to mention the bloody add-on, let alone recommend it.

Try removing all the extensions/addons you’re running in Chrome one by one to see if that makes a difference.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cougar:
    1-Yes – but plugging it in triggers a whole burst of them.
    2-Will do after ESET scan
    3-There are a few available. Are the changes limited to the OS? Not the files I have been working on the last few days?

Martin
    1-Sorry, yes unrelated but kinda cool. I suspect the rolling vortex might explain the efficiency of the swimming?
    2-No, no ????olq
    3-Will do but they haven’t changed.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of a virus that does that but that’s about all the help I can provide.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s clicking a link in the background with a hidden Internet Ex????????????????????p???????l?????????????????????o??????????????????d?????????????e???????????????????????r?????????????????????? window?

Jamie
    Free Member

I got nothing…

aracer
    Free Member

Are you running ‘ a d b lock ‘ on Chrome? Sorry – STW doesn’t even want us to mention the bloody add-on, let alone recommend it.

The filters on here aren’t all that clever

adblock
    adblocker
    adblockers

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@Cougar
    “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations”

martinhutch

That Boris shrimp is giving me a major headache 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Actually, it only starts happening AFTER I have visited STW…

Cougar

Don’t do that, then. (-:

Just so we’re clear, is it just Chrome that’s affected?

Does it sound like this? http://forums.greensock.com/topic/7499-animations-lag-when-chrome-has-multiple-tabs-open/

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmm, no, sorry. Today I just have the blink. It looks a little like the below, only I think I see a window, not noise.

Oops, yeah it is only in Chrome – after I close a window – I had the wrong thing in the backround when I made that animation. sorry.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah – I really think it’s just STW. Does anyone else get this? Could it be a “bad” popup?

aracer
    Free Member

Could just be Chrome – the latest update seems a bit dodgy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK – I’ll see how it pans out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I get a little help Re: Possible Windows Virus’ is closed to new replies.