Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can I get a good diesel for £2000
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

At the minute I have a 2004 Astra that’s in brilliant condition, my dad owned it before me and it only has 50k on the clock.

The problem is I started working further away, motorway commute, and the 1.6 petrol isn’t that great mpg wise.

I wanted to try and pick up a diesel that will be more economical but don’t want a step backwards.

My budget is about 2-2.5k.

I had a dci Megane for work and it was awesome, amazing mpg and only £30 road tax. Could I get anything like that for my budget?

Cheers

retro83
    Free Member

How bad is the MPG on the Astra? £2500 would pay for a lot of fuel, plus there is the potential for a turbo/high pressure injectors/DMF/DPF going pop on a diesel.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The Astra eats petrol on the motorway. The road tax is also £100+ for 6 months.

jimmy

My 02 Golf TDI will get you ~55mpg and change from £2k for a couple of year’s road tax.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

A 55-56 plate mondeo should be in your budget, 55mpg a realistic figure up and down a motorway doing an average of 60mph

cp

Jimmy – are you selling? Ping me an email please if you are with more details and pics.

Ta, Chris

retro83
    Free Member

MoseyMTB – Member

The Astra eats petrol on the motorway. The road tax is also £100+ for 6 months.

Okay but what actually is the MPG and how long is the commute? The £200 needs to be factored in, of course but without knowing these figures it is a non-starter working out if it is worthwhile.

If you just want a diesel out of preference then I’ll shut up! 🙂

Del

how far is the commute?
    you could spend 2k this year and have to spend another 2k next with a car of that value.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The £2000 includes the £1600 I’ll get for the Astra.

The commute is about 40mins, 30 of that on the motorway. No idea what the mpg actually is.

I reckon I’d be better waiting saving up a bit and getting something that would bring the road tax down too.

kevster
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the Astra if you sell?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d go for a Passat/Mondeo size, because there are millions of them about and a lot of people don’t want them because they are ‘too big’ or ‘rep-mobiles’. MPG on the motorway won’t be much different if any to a Golf/Focus, and the cabin quality will be higher than the smaller size. A step up from your Astra too.

You shoudl easily be able to get a good engine for that. The PD engines in the VAG world from before about 2005 are legendarily reliable, there was a thread recently about them with stellar mileages quoted.

Del

so it’ll probably work out 12k a year ( very ish ). at that mileage even comparing new petrol vs new diesel i’m not sure the sums will add up. given diesel is more expensive, the first few minutes of your journey will be the car warming up ( quicker in the petrol ), and the potential of big bills in a modern oil burner ( dmf, dpf, etc. ), frankly i’d stick with the known quantity.

edit – oh yeah, you’ll be in to big miles too. engine might be fine, everything else will be a bit soft.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Unless you are desperate to get rid of the Astra I would run it for a while and put some money aside to buy something posher/ nicer at a later date.

I used to run a 1.6 Astra in my last job and by driving sensibly could easily get 44mpg out of it on a motorway run. I thought that was fairly acceptable and travelled all round the country in it. The engines in Astras seem pretty bullet proof and should see you reach well over 100k miles.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not doing 80 on the motorway would be cheaper.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Selling my 1.7D astra estate (55 plate) on Friday to a mate of mine. It’s returning 55 mpg on my commuter of 35 motorway miles each way. I only asked £1500 for it so you should find something. Great for bikes as well.

andyl
    Free Member

I doubt you would get £1600 for a 1.6 petrol Astra. More like £1200-1400.

Something like the Astra diesel estate could be a good bet as above. Dad had one for work a few years back and it was a good little load lugger really.

madjak
    Free Member

Passat estate would be good 1.9 PD TDI 130, solid motor. watch wear in the suspension bushes and the turbos on the 130 sound cool….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Andyl that’s what webuyanycar offered at today’s valuation.

parkesie
    Free Member

Pug 2.0 diesel 306 estate. They seem to just keep on going and can be picked up for 2k or less.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Moped.

madjak
    Free Member

I’ve a lovely C50 with full fairing. Reliable enough to get from John OGroats to Lands End 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

May be selling my 54 focus estate diesel soon…65’000 miles fsh new dmf last year inc clutch…(something less to worry about)…..prob be around £2000-£2500…..oh and its silver with roof bars …Zetec

redstripe
    Free Member

sorry to hijack – Madjack is your C50 for sale? My son wants one

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can I get a good diesel for £2000’ is closed to new replies.