Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Can I gate crash your ride this weekend?
  • barca
    Free Member

I'm not nornally one for meeting strangers to go riding but I wondered if anybody was doing anything local'ish to Manchester this weekend and wouldn't mind a quiet one tagging along?
    I can do most speeds and I don't mind short, medium or long rides.
    I'm happy to ride out to the Peak District or get a train to somewhere else. Either day, I have full availability.
    A big cuddle on arrival would be nice as well if it's not too much trouble 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Can you get to Gargrave for 9AM?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Bogtrotters Worsthorne 10am

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    higgo
    Free Member

Cheshire Chunky Monkeys (www.chestermtb.co.uk) are doing a 'moderate' Peaks ride on Saturday. Meeting point SK198839 – a car park on Carr Lane between Thornhill and Yorkshire Bridge in the Derwent Valley.

Meeting here: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=SK197839&countryCode=GB#map=53.35168,-1.70388|16|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.35164:-1.70401:14|SK198839|SK198839

More info here (you may need to register): http://chestermtb.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=5778&hl=

Emphasis is on riding slowly/badly. Also pointing and laughing at each other's misfortunes (in a nice way).

IHN

We're riding from Cheltenham, knowing you you'll ride to the start 😉

nbt

And I think we're off to Calderdale, Jane is recovering from swine flu so I've space in the car

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And I think we're off to Calderdale

might bump into you then 🙂

barca
    Free Member

Thanks for all the offers. I'm touched.
    What days are these rides occuring? I have now been invited out on chain gang ride on Sunday so Saturday would be my prefered option.
    Higgo's kind invite looks favourite as I won't need to bother with getting a train although a car ride with NBT to the dark lands of Yorkshire would be lovely. In fact, I'd like to do them all apart from IHN's as he's from Poynton and they have funny personal habits 🙂

nbt

We're out on Sunday, Steve 🙁

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thanks for all the offers. I'm touched.

I bet you are. I asked for some new Peak-based riding buddies the other week and was met with little more than utter dismissal.

Not that I've been reading this thread with jealousy or anything. No, not me…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I asked for some new Peak-based riding buddies the other week and was met with little more than utter dismissal.

only strange people live there…

barca
    Free Member

It was the request for a cuddle that swung it jackthedog. I know what they like.

I'll come riding with you. We can have a lonely bike riders club.

higgo
    Free Member

Higgo's kind invite looks favourite

You're very welcome. I'll email you my mobile number but you don't need to let me (or anyone else) know. Just turn up.

Jackthedog – also welcome along.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Come riding with us on Saturday if you like.
    Leaving Rochechouart Chateaux at 14:00 for 95km group road ride.

We have a bit of a burn up for the last 25km but regroup with 5k to go, for the moral of the group. Post ride beer is obligatory.

SB

barca
    Free Member

Sadly a little (and some) too far for me to get to for the start time and I don't drink alcohol so I'd do my usual sloping off to ride home alone thing but thanks for the invite.
    I'm looking forward to tagging along with Higgo's mates tomorrow.
    Thanks again everyone.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Jackthedog – also welcome along.

Dammit!! Only just checked the forum!

MrOvershoot

Well Jack you missed a beautiful day with much Pi55 taking and some riding in between.

BTW where were you barca?

barca
    Free Member

I've emailed Higgo with an apology.
    Family based bedlam this morning meant I was finally chucking a leg over a bike at 9:20am. No chance of riding 21 miles from home to the meeting point in time. In fact, if I'd chased round your route to catch up, I think you'd all be on the way home by the time I got back to the start.
    I ended up doing a road ride over to Chester. I think I might be in the local paper this week. My rear tyre blew off while I was at the traffic lights outside New Look in the city centre. The bang was that loud, people were running for cover! I sloped off down an alley sharp'ish to put a new tube in and I heard Police sirens.
    If they're searching for a terrorist bomber, it was me. I was expecting to be pulled over at any time until I get to Wilmslow on the way home.
    Sorry I missed the ride.

MrOvershoot

No problem, you would have probably got bored waiting at the top of every hill for us if you were prepared to ride 41 miles for a ride!

Wilmslow-Chester-Wilmslow is a fair old ride anyway 😮

barca
    Free Member

To my shame, Hazel Grove-Chester-Hazel Grove Mr Overshoot. Wilmslow on the way back was just where I'd spotted a sweet young thing which took my mind off being hunted down by MI5. I'm easily distracted :-}
    I'd like to turn up next time though if that's OK? I've joined the forum and it looks like you lot have a laugh.

higgo
    Free Member

I've emailed Higgo with an apology.

Absolutely no need to apologise.

Keep your eye on the forum and come along whenever it suits you.

barca
    Free Member

I feel l should Higgo and thanks for being so gracious. I missed todays road ride as well due to "chaos" doing her thing again. A morning spent in Sainsburys, Borders and the park. What fun. I've time wasted two groups this weekend and I apologise to both as well as the others on this thread who offered invites.
    If by any chance anybody fancies a late afternoon jaunt through Roman Lakes, Mellor Cross, Lyme Park and the illegal quarry switchback track, I'm definitley going. Just shout up on here and I'll check before I go. it will be about 4 o'clock.

Bunnyhop

Barca-J. would have gone with you, however he's set off with xherbivorex. They may well pass you at some point.

Hope everything is o.k avec famille.

Oh I love the illegal switchback quarry. Before we got turfed off by the owners, it was a decent ending to our night rides.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

None of it was in vain, Barca – your plans got me thinking about 'long' (for me) routes out of this neck of the woods too, so I did a recce from Macc to Rostherne on the Cheshire Cycleway (route 70), then ducked through Tatton and back on the main roads. The first part of it is a fantastic route – so few cars – though it's totally blocked at Alderley Edge with the new bypass works going on – the detour takes you to Royles bike shop on the roundabout then back down to Mobberley that way.

The point of it was that I've now got plans to carry on to Liverpool soon, so at least I know the first part of the ride will be nice. Any route suggestions for what to do the other side of the M56?

Enjoy your ride later – was up in Lyme Park (on foot) yesterday and it was beautiful up there. Would be interested to know the route you've got out that way too, please, if you've got a moment!

cheers.

barca
    Free Member

Excellent stuff gonetothehills. My route yesterday went from Hazel Grove, Poynton, Mottram St Andrew, Wilmslow past Royles and out through Mobberley and then A51 past Delamere Forest and into Chester and then I pretty much retraced my route home again.
    I saw to ladies on a pink mountain bike tandem towing a Bob Yak while I was fixing my blow out. Hmmm, I have a road tandem that needs a stoker (or catptain). Anybody fancy a ride?
    I'll have a look what would be nice out to Liverpool. Riding along the banks of the Mersey from it's start from where the Goyt meets the Tame in Stockport town centre out past Sale and on into Liverpool is on my "to do" list. I've done the Cheshire ring twice but that only goes out as far as Warrington. I wonder if another canal would get out to Liverpool. I'll have a look.

The route I'm just getting ready for is:
    Holiday Lane (Offerton)
    Across the Goyt and on to Dooley Lane
    Chadkirk Chapel down to the canal
    Marple Locks
    Roman Lakes road and straight up to Mellor Golf Course
    Left along the golf course up to Mellor Cross
    back down to the Fox Inn
    Strines station
    Across the road up to the canal
    Right on to the canal
    left across the next bridge and up to Disley
    Across the A6 to the Rams Head
    Up the side of the church onto the Gristone Trail.
    Left at the gate and up to the road that goes toward the Moortop Hotel. Turn right
    Right at the crossroads and climb the steep tarmac with glorious Peak District views to Bowstones.
    Through the gate and follow the bridleway to the end of the wall.
    (It now becomes illegal and quite difficult to explain)l. Some climbing over barbed wire fencing is involved although some of the above is on footpath anyway). I'll email you if you like?
    After the naughty bit you come out at the back of Lyme Park and go up and then down past the Pott Shrigley Never Open Cafe and then higher Poynton and on to the Middlewood way.

J – are they out around Roman Lakes and Mellor?

Bunnyhop

They went to Rowarth and back.
    We've been putting the world to rights in the back garden for the last half an hour.
    Have fun.

It's great knowing that cheeky bit over Disley and Pott Shrigley, leading down to the coffe tavern.
    We don't ride the Qyarry switch backs anymore, due to the angry landowner, keeping rescue horses in the land.

barca
    Free Member

I cut my ride short. Tea time was fast approaching. I've even let myself down this weekend.
    I'm on a late start tomorrow so I think I'll head up over Lyme Park way on the way in.

barca
    Free Member

I did the Chadkirk, Lyme Park and quarry switchbacks ride this morning and it was great fun. I enjoyed it that much, I'm going out again to do a shortened version of the route this evening.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Can I gate crash your ride this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.