Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • can i fit (or make fit / work) 10 spd wheels on a 9 speed gear range?
  • speedsterkid
    Free Member

hi guys i know that all the spacing on a nine speed bike id diff that a 10 spd bike but would there be a way to make it work (besides new groupset or wheels/hub) i have seen a 9 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub but not a smaller (9) on a bigger (10). i have been told that there is no way by freind but i thought he just might not know. thanks

cliffyc
    Free Member

You need old skool thumbshifters as they can be run in friction mode. I think even an old Shimano or Suntour (Whoooooooo?……)thumbie would do it. Retro…..nice!

greeble
    Free Member

9 speed and 10 speed hubs are the same spacing

simondbarnes

9 speed and 10 speed freehub bodies are the same – you can run 9 or 10spd cassettes on them

njee20
    Free Member

hi guys i know that all the spacing on a nine speed bike id diff that a 10 spd bike but would there be a way to make it work (besides new groupset or wheels/hub) i have seen a 9 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub but not a smaller (9) on a bigger (10). i have been told that there is no way by freind but i thought he just might not know. thanks

You seem to have most of that the wrong way around. You can’t fit an 8/9/10 speed cassette to a 7 speed free hub, but you can fit 7 (with a spacer) or 8/9/10 onto the same free hub bodies – they’re identical spacing.

speedsterkid
    Free Member

Ok thanks guys. Sorry for getting it wrong. Your a massive help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘can i fit (or make fit / work) 10 spd wheels on a 9 speed gear range?’ is closed to new replies.