Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Can i fit my own log burner?
  • jim25

I’ve been quoted £4k to fit a £1500 Acr neo wood stove.

But more than I expected, was hoping for around the £3k mark.

So can I fit this myself?

Will be going in a single storey extension, nearest window over 5m away, no existing fireplace or chimney so will need a double insulated flue I presume.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Will be going in a single storey extension,

Still needs to go above the roof line of the house unless it’s over 2.3m away.

Our house had one in the conservatory put in by a previous owner that’s had to be ripped out and bricked up.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Read this
    http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk

And Part J building regs doc

£4k is a lot

leebaxter
    Free Member

I have fitted a couple on building notices, however i believe it differs council to council. I usually use the selkirk flue installers guide, if i am using flue pipe. Without seeing the job 4k sounds plausible, 2k for stove, and flue. then 2k for scaffold?, labour.

jam-bo

best price from a couple of quotes or the first one you’ve got?

xcgb
    Free Member

You can but if you use a HETAS fitter you dont need to involve building reg inspectors which is worth a fair bit in my book!

core

The extension will likely need a Building regs. application, so your building control body can sign the installation off as part of the application. Just ask them for advice/requirements in advance of fitting it.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

read Wzzzz’s website.

It’s really rather good.

It’s all you’ll need to make your decision and then to fit the stove, if you decide to DIY.

If you are new build… you’ve may well have less to comply with ??

BigJohn

Resale consequences? I wouldn’t buy a house with a self-fitted stove.

*complete exaggeration but you know what I mean.

johndoh
    Free Member

£4k for what? *JUST* the installation? Or does this include any parts?

I just paid £2250 inc VAT for all this…

Parkray Aspect 4 woodburner

9m 316 grade solid fuel flue liner

Stainless steel suspension cowl, Stainless steel flue pipe adapter, Vitreous enamelled

flue pipe, Steel register plate and fixings

Remove fireplace, remove brick work to expose builders opening. Make good structurally and making good plastering around opening

Natural Limestone flagged hearth (Charcoal Grey)

Heatproof fireboard for stove opening

Gas to cap (By Gas Safe Registered Installer)

Building materials (lintel, cement, plaster, adhesives, fixings and spays)

CO detector

sharkbait
    Free Member

I was quoted £1k + hearth (could be 12mm glass) to supply and fit a twinwall flue in a single storey building (vaulted ceiling) by two different people – I had the stove already.
    Your £4k sounds a lot.

footflaps

Resale consequences? I wouldn’t buy a house with a self-fitted stove.

None, just do it under a buiding control notice and get it all signed off.

djglover
    Free Member

I had a number of quotes for mine ranging from £2,800 to £4,200

The labour ranged from 400 to 950 and the flue ranged from 900 to 1750.

Price up the parts online and allow £200 per day for labour and overheads and you should have a reasonable price. Finding someone to do it for that might be the challenge but they are our there

redstripe
    Free Member

OP – if you are in Bristol area I have a mate (HETAS installer) who is a top bloke who’d quote and/or advise you. Get it done properly, not just for safety but for efficiency.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve just paid £2095 for an install.
    Stove + flue pipe = £650
    Knock out of fireplace = £200
    Installation inc. Liner, stone hearth, steel register plate, fireproof boards, chimney pot & bird cowl etc = the rest.
    How much is a double lined steel flue?

bedmaker

If you can wait a bit, you’ll probably get a cheaper quote during the summer.

I fit stoves. I’m by myself so don’t need to worry about finding work for employees. I see other local companies pricing stuff silly cheap in the summer when it’s quieter. They need to pay wages every week so tend to cut prices to the bone to keep work coming in.

Me, I’m happy to take a couple of months out to do other stuff and let them slug it out. 🙂

badgerbater
    Free Member

Sorry, having a fit of giggles; I read it as “can I fit in my own log burner?”. My dyslexia kicking in big Time!

granny_ring

Johnson 316 grade flue is for wood I believe not coal if you were going to burn that?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Loads of variables in the limited info you give, does it include the £1.5k stove? Does it include a flexi flue? how long, what type (flexi flue)? scaffold required? what work are they doing to the fireplace? new hearth stone? etc etc.

My totally notional fag packet figures to fit their quote
    stove £1500
    scaffold up side of house £400
    fitting works and materials £300
    twin wall flue £500
    hearth stone £300
    fireplace work ( fit hearth stone, plastering, making good, whatever etc) £750
    fit stove and sign off £350
    =£4000

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I meant twin wall flue rather than flexi flue 🙂

tjagain

I would have no qualms about diying it – just follow the relevant regs or do the labouring bits yourself and just pay the fitter to complete / check and sign it off.

granny_ring

Gave my mate a hand to do his, single storey and all was easy enough to do. Then signed off by building control. Saved a lot of money.

B.A.Nana – not sure about your prices, there is no fireplace! 🙂

ElShalimo

There was an interesting article in the New Scientist recently about the impact on pollution and health from wood burning stoves. It’s worth reading.

footflaps

There was an interesting article in the New Scientist recently about the impact on pollution and health from wood burning stoves. It’s worth reading.

It’s been done to death on here already…..

ElShalimo

It’s been done to death on here already…..

isn’t that the abstract for the article?
    😉

br
    Free Member

If the £4k includes VAT, that’s nearly £700 already.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my father in law is a sweep so i had a bit of a head start, but yes i have done all of ours. you can them get them certificated by your local council if you want, i never have.

ok, except one stove… for this i needed a hetas certificate, we needed a flue installing, and my father in law had recently had a heart attack so i paid a very large local compant over a grand for the job.

it was the biggest bodge you have ever seen with huge breaches of both the appliances installation guidelines, legislation and utter common sense. fortunatly i knew a bit about it and spotted the bodges, some of which could/would have caused a fire in the roof and i’m really not kidding.

so yes tiy can do it but you do need to know what you are doing, or you can pay heaps but you may get a worst job that you could do in the first place.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Can i fit my own log burner?’ is closed to new replies.