• This topic has 40 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Can I fit a 11 speed road cassette to a MTB hub
  • SOAP
    Free Member

looking at fitting some 650B Superstar wheels (Switch Ultra hubs) to my cotic Escapede.

SOAP
    Free Member

I think the answer is NO! 🙁

chilled76
    Free Member

No the 11 speed road cassettes are wider than 10 and 9 which do fit on a mountain bike hub.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qtip

You can on the latest Hope hubs. There may be others.

crazybaboon

You can fit the new 11/34 cassette as it’s the same width as a mtb cassette, you have to add a spacer on a road wheel

SOAP
    Free Member

Crazybabboon can you post a link to that cassette please

chilled76
    Free Member

You can fit the new 11/34 cassette as it’s the same width as a mtb cassette, you have to add a spacer on a road wheel

I’ve not seen these, surely that would throw your indexing out on a road bike? Or is this to be ran on a road bike using a mtb mech? In which case, surely this is just an MTB cassette?

SOAP
    Free Member

Just to add I’m running sram rival hydro brake/shifters and mech.

simondbarnes

The Shimano CS-HG800 11/34 will fit a standard 8/9/10spd freehub body.

chilled76
    Free Member

Can anyone answer my indexing question, what mech would work with this and an 11speed shimano 105 shifter?

simondbarnes

Can anyone answer my indexing question, what mech would work with this and an 11speed shimano 105 shifter?

An Ultegra R8000 GS will work with it.

belugabob
    Free Member

Simondbarnes is correct (as usual)

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m presuming this means that Shimano are bringing 12 speed sometime soon if the 11 speeds have been made narrower like an mtb one?

simondbarnes

I’m presuming this means that Shimano are bringing 12 speed sometime soon if the 11 speeds have been made narrower like an mtb one?

The 11 speeds haven’t been made narrower. Where did you get that from?

chilled76
    Free Member

The fact that the above one can fit a 10 speed cassette body?

Or are those r8000 not the same width as a mtb cassette which had been suggested earlier in the thread?

schmiken

The largest cog is offset over the ends of the spokes.

simondbarnes

The fact that the above one can fit a 10 speed cassette body?

It’s not narrower though. They’ve spaced the 34t sprocket over the back of the hub flange like they have with 11spd mtb cassettes.

jonnyboi

As above, it’s an 11 speed road cassette with road indexing. It’s just the offset on the carrier that means it sits closer to the spokes.

chilled76
    Free Member

So basically its a mountain bike cassette? Presuming you could fit a mountain bike 11-36 with a spacer if you were so inclined?

jonnyboi

looking at fitting some 650B Superstar wheels (Switch Ultra hubs) to my cotic Escapede.

Alternative is you get a road icon ultra freehub

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/icon-ultra-11speed-freehub.htm

And stick it on your switch freehub. Superstar say it won’t work but I’ve done it with mine.

jonnyboi

So basically its a mountain bike cassette? Presuming you could fit a mountain bike 11-36 with a spacer if you were so inclined?

No, the indexing would be off

chilled76
    Free Member

As above, it’s an 11 speed road cassette with road indexing. It’s just the offset on the carrier that means it sits closer to the spokes.

I think I get what you mean, does that mean the teeth on the largest sprocket are actually in line with the spacer you run?

jonnyboi

Kind of yes. Basically ignore the idea of a spacer and think what the cassette looks like from the inside, a larger gear such as a 34T has more inner ‘space’ so won’t hit the spokes at the same point a 32T or smaller would. Hence it can be offset more which means the carrier itself doesn’t have to be so long.

It’s a little bizarre why shimano make it suitable for MTB hubs considering their 11 spd road and mtb gearing is incompatible, but It does have advantages for swapping mtb wheelset a across bikes ( I may be answering my own question here!)

simondbarnes

I think I get what you mean, does that mean the teeth on the largest sprocket are actually in line with the spacer you run?

If you were running one on and 11spd road hub? Yeah, I guess it’ll be about there.

simondbarnes

Yes, although the R8000 GS rear mech is only rated to 34t.

jonnyboi

The pull ration for the ultegra mech would be off though surely?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, although the R8000 GS rear mech is only rated to 34t.

It isn’t but I believe it’ll take more. My Sequoia has a 105 mech and an 11-36 cassette.

simondbarnes

The pull ration for the ultegra mech would be off though surely?

No, the ultegra mech will work perfectly with his 105 shifters. As for the cassettes, the spacing is the same and Shimano road & mtb 11spd use the same chain.

jonnyboi

No, the ultegra mech will work perfectly with his 105 shifters. As for the cassettes, the spacing is the same and Shimano road & mtb 11spd use the same chain.

I get the bit about the mech and the shifters working together. It was where you suggested he could fit a shimano 11 spd mtb cassette and it would work with that set up.

simondbarnes

It was where you suggested he could fit a shimano 11 spd mtb cassette and it would work with that set up.

If Shimano actually made an 11/36 11spd mtb cassette he probably could. I doubt an 11/40 would work without using a goat link or similar.

crazybaboon

I’ve got the 11/34 cassette on some Mavic crosmax slr mtb wheels which I use on my cross bike, the indexing is near enough to a normal 11/28 cassette on my other wheels, certainly no worse than swapping with any other wheel
    I’m using a medium cage ultegra 6800 rear mech, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it works on a short cage, as I use to run a 11/32 with ease on a short cage, of course it depends on the length of the rear derailleur hanger as they all differ!

ampthill

Every day is a school day on Single Track

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve got a short cage Rival mech which might not work.
    Has anyone got medium cage Sram Mech for sale?

schmiken

You can also machine 1mm off a road cassette to fit an MTB hub – I run 11-30s on my cross bike wheels (which run Hope Pro 2 hubs).

SOAP
    Free Member

Ordered a 11/34 R8000 cassette and some tyres yesterday from wiggle/CRC which havert arrived yet, but also ordered a 11/30 cassette a bit later which has arrived

No way to make the 11/30 fit apart from losing a mid ratio cog and putting a spacer behind the cassette.
    Making it 10 speed but with 11 speed spacing.

What makes the 11/34 different from the 11/30 allowing it to fit?

simondbarnes

What makes the 11/34 different from the 11/30 allowing it to fit?

The 34t sprocket is dished over the inside of the hub flange like on the Shimano 11spd mtb cassettes. A 30t sprocket isn’t large enough to enable this to be done so will only work on 11spd freehub bodies.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ok thanks.
    So would it work OK as a 10 speed with the limit screws adjusted.
    I would have to purchase a new mech to run the 11/34.

schmiken

The 11 30 cassette will fit if you machine off 1mm from the carrier. A BB facing tool works nicely for this.

ampthill

I would have to purchase a new mech to run the 11/34

Or buy a Roadlink, depending on current derailleur

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Can I fit a 11 speed road cassette to a MTB hub’ is closed to new replies.