• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I drive a Luton Box van on a normal car driving licence?
  • brewking
    Free Member

Hired a small transit but a large box van has just been delivered. Think it it 3.5 tonnes capacity. Is it ok to drive on a normal car licence passed a couple of years ago? Sorry for being thick!

flatfish
    Free Member

yup

grannygrinder
    Free Member

I know you can’t drive a 7.5 tonne, not sure about 3.5
    DVLA website probably your best bet

steveh

If you passed in 97 or after you can drive a 3.5 ton vehicle but no more.

Cougar

It’ll say on your licence.

RTFL. (-:

brewking
    Free Member

cheers

Albanach
    Free Member

If its a luton then no.

ozzo
    Free Member

I am sure up to 4 ton

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You can drive anything up to 3.5t on a category B (normal car post 1997) licence. Luton vans are in this category. The van hire wouldn’t risk giving you a vehicle that you werent licenced to drive.

cbike
    Free Member

Check your licence!

A Transit Van may be ok. Lutons especially for recent licences may be excluded. Limits can be as low 2.5. We are finding loads of young stage managers canny drive 3.5 lutons!

Drac

SBZ has it 3.5 tonnes is Cat B so if you have a full licence you can drive one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

max authorised mass of 3500 as said above IIRC.

Where do people get these figures of 4 or 2.5 tonnes ? Wouldn’t it be better to read what it says on your licence than just make a number up that sounds about right ?

Brewking, didn’t the hire company check your licence when you hired it ?
    They won’t normally “aid and abet” a criminal act by hiring a vehicle to someone who is not licenced to drive it.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

No, you meed a HLGPSV licence to drive a luton

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The younger folk I’ve worked with (I’m 37) are not allowed to drive half as much stuff as I am on my ‘old doozer’ licence.

Best to check your licence.

Drac

No, you meed a HLGPSV licence to drive a luton

It’s a Cat B licence which is what anyone with a full car licence holds, the vehicle is a 3.5 tonnes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I drive a Luton Box van on a normal car driving licence?’ is closed to new replies.