Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Can I do this kind of riding on a carbon XC
  • twedspeed
    Free Member

This is us doing what we do – Hamsterley , Dalby & Nth yks Moors etc http://www.youtube.com/user/BaylissV6#p/a/u/0/xbYtUbWGnfo
    My simple question is this – could I ride this sort of trail on a 100mm carbon XC bike ( Spesh Epic Swks – Scott Spark – Canyon Lux 9.0 )- or would you have said those hits are too big , At the moment I,m on a Spesh Enduro 150mm but on our longer forays across the moors I feel like its to much bike – If I get a light weight XC er like those mentioned would I still be able to use it on this kind of stuff – I dont do MASSIVE air or huge hits – but I do like to jump it when the tconditions permit –

ajantom

You can ride anything on anything really – it’s all about the speed you hit it at! I ride the same stuff on my rigid SS that I do on my burly 150mm forked hardtail, just a bit slower.

Looking at that vid I’d say a 150mm enduro is over-biked. Ride a hardtail and increase your skill levels 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“This is us mincing along an XC route a hamsterley”

I imagine you’d be fine on a carbon xc mincing machine!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Rather than going all the way back, why not look at 120mm FS’s?

Xylene
    Free Member

Tweddle who went to Ponteland High School?

twedspeed
    Free Member

nope sorry mate – I know its an unusual name but honestly theres **** loads of us . Correct spelling tho !

singlespeedstu

Is this a troll?

Xylene
    Free Member

nope sorry mate – I know its an unusual name but honestly theres **** loads of us . Correct spelling tho !

Bollocks, only one tweddle in the world, stop blanking me, just cause you picked on me at school.

twedspeed
    Free Member

AWWW NO NOT “WEDGIE” QUIRREL ??????? WE ATE YOUR HAMSTER

brownix
    Free Member

I ride much harder than this on my xc carbon bike, its fine.
    Carbon is pretty strong actually. Just hurts a bit more cus its soo stiff

twedspeed
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve done Section 13 lots of times fully rigid. It’s fine; I’d happily take a cyclocross bike down it.

twedspeed
    Free Member

cheers brownix – wot you ride ?

miketually
    Free Member

Club rides at Hamsterley have people on pretty much every kind of bike going.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Is this a troll?

It has to be.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

twedspeed do you have to pay to enter the forest? and you should be rite on carbon!!!

llama

yes you can, but keep the enduro for when you want to blast it

brownix
    Free Member

A felt six pro with fox f-series fork. so pretty light.

fatmax

my 4-year old could ride that on his rigid SS ‘spiderman’ bike…troll definitely

Jammy111
    Free Member

section 13 is really smooth so no need for much travel. you would be faster on a hardtail! some of the rooty bits on the black route you would be faster on a full suss. both have their pros and cons….

however maybe think along the lines of a longish travel hardtail, or a lighter shorter travel full suss. the enduro is a pretty beefy bike in comparison to many.

Oh and dyslexic, its about 3 quid to park for the day at the trail head from memory. at the DH place its about 6 quid for parking and use of the tracks.

twedspeed
    Free Member

Cheers lads , takin all this on board –
    Yeah I think we paid £2 to park – Dare say theres loads of super hero hamsterley regulars on here who could give you better info about it than me tho,
    We rode another section that was really good called the “transmision line” ? – It was really p*ssing it down all day and is probabaly brilliant in the dry – but from the place where we parked to section 13 and then on to Transmission was about 10 miles – so I was looking for something that could not only rip down the exciting bits but also hammer up the climbs and eat up the miles of boring fire road ? If such a thing exists.

twedspeed
    Free Member

fatmax , not sure wot a troll is mate – Soz ?.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I thought we contained the idiots elsewhere.

miketually
    Free Member

Parking’s gone up a bit. I think it’s £3 a day now, and a fiver on Bank Holidays!

Transmission is the new trail. Not ridden it yet, but Crispy’s got a video on Ning- http://mtbnortheast.ning.com/video/transmission-hamsterley

Everything at Hamsterley, bar the DH course is ridable on a rigid, though that’d be slower than with suspension. Lots of the regulars are switching back to hardtails now. Get yerself one of the cheap Ragley Mmmbop frames off CRC if you fancy something different to FS.

twedspeed
    Free Member

Andyhilton not with ya mate ?
    miketually – theyre givin the frames away £160

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

cheers it looks like it will be worth the 2 1/2 hour drive up 😉

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I ride stuff like that happily on my Spesh Epic marathon carbon bike. I am pretty smooth and only weigh 10st though…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Can I do this kind of riding on a carbon XC’ is closed to new replies.