Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Can I convert DT Swiss 5.10 rims to tubeless ?
  • slightreturn
    Free Member

As per title. I was looking to move wi the times and shed some weight on my turner, so was considering going tubless as an option. Any advice please.

Also any decent rolling/grippy all round tyres ?

Thanks

AD

I just used the Stans kit on mine. No real hassle. I’d recommend using Maxxis TR tyre which go up really easily in my experience (currently using a High Roller II Exo TR). I use a ghetto inflator but I suspect a high volume track pump would work with the TR tyres. Previous none TR tyres needed the ghetto acumulator to seat the tyre in the first place.
    The combination didn’t save me any weight though – just less punctures and more grip from being able to run lower pressures.

Northwind

Yeah, if you use a proper kit- the DT one was quite cheap when I got mine and works really well, I think there was a stans in the other end which was almost as good, both were fine. (the DT was a pain in the arse to fit) The rim strips aren’t massively lighter than a light tube but should give you greater reliability.

Ghetto didn’t work at all for me- the design of the rim doesn’t hold the tyre on adequately, it went up but I could push the tyre off the rim when fully inflated. Didn’t ever ride on it, you never know, it might have worked but I wasn’t going to risk it.

honourablegeorge

Pinkbike did a Tech Tuesday video showing that exact conversion, they just used the Stan’s yellow tape – here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday-tubeless-conversion-2010.html

Northwind

You can see the problem in that video, look at the shape of the rim. Like I say, it’ll bead up, it’ll inflate, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Can I convert DT Swiss 5.10 rims to tubeless ?’ is closed to new replies.