Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • can i connect to xbox live via my pc part 2?
  • racefaceec90

i asked about this not long ago (do not have a phone/broadband line.use a 3 mobile broadband dongle).i thought that i would be able to use an ethernet cable.unfortunately though my 11 year old pc doesn’t have an ethernet socket (what i thought was one,is for the phone line.didn’t realize they were different fittings 😳 is there any way that i could connect to xbox live (so that i can download dlc content for games/patches e.t.c).someone did say something about a wirless router/something along those lines?many thanks 🙂 and sorry for being stupid.

anjs
    Free Member

Something like the Draytek 2820 router would work as it has a usb socket for your wireless dongle but it might be a bit over kill for your needs

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes you can. Google “Internet Connection Sharing” – works with XP, Vista and 7.

You need :

1 x cross-over ethernet cable (or a straight-through cable…. but you will need a switch too… extra expense)

1 x ethernet port on the PC.

Connect the x-over cable between xbox and PC. Make sure the 3G connection is up and running, and ‘share’ this internet connection. Select the ethernet port as the LAN connection permitted to share the 3G one.

IIRC internet connection sharing automatically creates a 192.168.0.X DHCP range.

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-67988-how-do-i-connect-my-ps3-using-a-mobile-modem

Short answer : yes, it can be done. I used it for tethering through my mobile while broadband landline was still being activated.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

If you want a PCI Ethernet card let me know and I’ll send one over…. I’ve got plenty cluttering the place up!

racefaceec90

sharkbait that is very kind of you 🙂 how much do you want for it and is it easy to fit (really am computer numpty 😳

Cougar

xiphon is correct, with the caveat that (with an elderly PC and limited connection speed) it’s not going to be particularly rapid and some of the DLC can be quite large. Do you have a limit on your 3G data allowance?

Why are you using a dongle instead of a fixed ADSL connection, out of interest?

xiphon
    Free Member

I had to wait 4 weeks for my landline + ADSL to become active, so I used my phone to tether in the meantime. Only for small downloads/patches though, through xbox live.

racefaceec90

cougar.do not curretly have a line connected (have the blocked off socket where there is a phone line) just the cost of getting a line connected,then the broadband activated (monthly charges for both phone/broadband) i have a 15gb monthly contract with 3 mobile that’s £15.99 a month.a lot cheaper than getting the line set up/monthly costs then onwards.

munkster
    Free Member

[hiijack]xiphon did you receive my copy of bioshock all those months ago?[/hiijack]

sharkbait
    Free Member

RF: Just the cost of the postage would be fine mate. If you’ve got PCI slots (which you can check by going to control panel>system>hardware tab>device manager>system devices – if you see PCI Bus in there you should be good to go) then you just open the case and put the network card in any available slot – Xp should see it automatically and load the drivers.
    Chuck me an email if you want me to send one.

racefaceec90

sharkbait.that’s very kind 😀 the only problem is that i do not have a credit card.can send a postal order/santander cheque (if they will do one) if you are happy with that? how much would you like?

sharkbait
    Free Member

RF: don’t worry about it mate, let me know your address and you can call it a birthday pressy 😉

Cougar

I wouldn’t rule out fixed ADSL due to lack of phone line, not without checking anyway. For instance, Primus will do you a free phone line if you take their DSL package, working out at about 80p more than you’re currently paying for a 20Gb limit and “up to” 24Mbps connection; BT line installation is currently £30 instead of £130, and if it’s available in your area then Virgin doesn’t need a phone line at all.

racefaceec90

thanks sharkbait.is very kind of you 😀 cougar thanks for the info also,will definitely check out your links (it sounds a lot better/cheaper than i thought it would cost to get a broadband connection 😀 cheers everyone 😀

Cougar

If you do decide to take that route, sharkey’s network card (or “NIC”) will come in useful to connect you up to the broadband router too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘can i connect to xbox live via my pc part 2?’ is closed to new replies.