Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can I connect pc via wifi AND ethernet simultaneously?
  • scaredypants

Is this an actual thing?

(ultimately via the same intenet connection though the wifi is on a bridged secondary router)

weeksy

If they have separate IP configuration to 2 routers, maybe.

rossburton
    Free Member

One route will be the default route so if you want to do this for performance reasons then you’ll have to set up bridging (but if you’re doing it for performance reasons then just get gigabit ethernet).

If you want both connected to other machines can connect via either method, or for rapid fallback if one or the other fails, then yes that will just work.

rossburton
    Free Member

(my laptop if frequently connected to my router via ethernet and wifi, it has two IP addresses and I’ve told macOS that ethernet is higher priority so it uses that if both are connected)

seosamh77
    Free Member

you can plug an ethernet cable into your comp and it’ll take over, they won’t be connected at the same time. Why do you want that, what’s the point?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, there are settings for priority, win 10 does handle it a bit better (I was connecting to 2 separate networks though)
    Real question is why though? Ethernet will be faster more reliable and simpler than WiFi if your not moving.

scaredypants

I’m trying to use my phone to control some of the aspects of *ahem* zwift, which it apparently does better than a pc does

trainer is in the garage and the pc is ethernet connected but the phone seemingly will only play if it’s connected to the same wifi network as the pc. I could only use wifi for the pc but it’s all at a bit of a distance and I suspect that it’ll not work as well overall as the wired version

… hence both simultaneously

fisha
    Free Member

If the pc is connected to the router via Ethernet and the phone to the same router via wifi then the zwift mobile app should link in. Sometimes it takes a little while for it to happen. (Minutes in my case sometimes once all are running).

It’s almost like the refresh/ scan rate of each to try and find the other is set to not happen at a high frequency.

Start zwift , start the mobile app and just start cycling and give it 10mins and see if it works.

To be honest I just leave the app showing the watts/hr/cadence at and use a Bluetooth keyboard for changing views and music control (iMac setup)

scaredypants

oh, right – so it should work without wifi on the pc

I did try but either didn’t wait long enough or it’s not going to work through the bridge

I’ll have a go tomorrow, thanks

fisha
    Free Member

It should work as that’s how it works on mine (my pc is linked to the router through powerline Ethernet blocks – so similar type of steps between devices as your second wifi bridge) but I think I did initially turn on the wifi on the pc and unplug the cable from it to get it working first time. … but since then I’ve not bothered. Pc wired, mobile wifi.

drslow
    Free Member

you can connect both. Routing will work off an algorithm calculating fastest route. Wired is faster than wireless.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    oh, right – so it should work without wifi on the pc

yes, should work wifi or ethernet. You are still on the same network. wifi/ethernet makes no difference (assuming they both come from the same router)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can I connect pc via wifi AND ethernet simultaneously?’ is closed to new replies.