Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • can I bleed magura brakes without the kit?
  • singletracksurfer

before I go out on a ride tonight – arrgh.

thomthumb
    Free Member

do it in the bath with water.

wwaswas

singletracksurfer – not easily as you;re supposed to force fluid up from the caliper to the reservoir and you need a special bleed nipple for the caliper to do it (plus a couple fo big syringes and some tubing.

You coudl try just topping up reservoir and doing it 'total loss' by lettign the fluid out at the caliper via the 'blank' bleed nipple but it could be messy.

singletracksurfer

yeah will just try topping up the reservoir for now.

i've got various syringes and tubing – where can I get just the special little bleed nipples?

thanks.

wwaswas

here

although not today. If you knew the thread – google says Julies are M6x1 you might get some generic ones from a motor factor I guess?

Edit – that says only for 'some' disk brakes so probably best to check before you order…

coolfurcats
    Free Member

Which Magura brake do you have? I would assume it's a disc. In this case you can often get away with slowly pumping the lever and moving the pistons back into the caliper body. Because the mineral oil used by Magura has a very low viscosity, air can move quite quickly through the system. Pump the lever and keep topping the reservoir up, (avoiding the dreaded sucking sound that signals starting from scratch). After you're satisfied that there is no more air in your system, fill the reservoir full to the brim and put the cap back on, being careful to catch the overspill. Important is to use the correct mineral oil, otherwise you may wreck the seals, or get plants and weeds growing in your brakes. Also, you will probably need a T7 torx to remove the cap if it is a pre Easy Bleed brake. If it is a brake with easy bleed, then all you really need to do is remove the allen key headed stopper in the E.B. bit stick in a syringe without the piston. Fill the syringe with about a centimeter or two of fluid and do what I've said above…

singletracksurfer

got Magura Julie. tried topping it up for now and order some bits tomorrow. Ta

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘can I bleed magura brakes without the kit?’ is closed to new replies.