Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Can I be forced to use the pool car?
  • footflaps

Last time I drove a pool car I rolled it and left it on it’s side in a ditch somewhere near Ongar. In my defense, I had only passed my test the day before and it was a notorious accident spot. However, I was driving at night for the first time and just didn’t see the corner and drove onto a village green without even trying to turn. A large oak tree and a drainage ditch stopped by progress rather promptly………..

almightydutch
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    Little point ? Fine until there’s an accident and the insurers ask if she was using the car for business purposes.

Personal car doing what normal people do…hardly a call for business insurance. We live on the edge don’t we?

Cougar, if there was any good driving courses out there then yes it may be a great idea. Sadly there is no ‘Jedi’ or the driving world.
    She certainly wouldn’t pay for the training herself so its out the question anyway.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If she’s driving for work, in a car without business insurance, then she is on dodgy grounds anyway. Unless your insurance says that you’re covered 3rd party for business use somewhere in the small print, you aren’t driving with the right cover. If you get caught, it’s a couple of hundred quid and 6 points. That’s why the police stop pizza delivery people for insurance all the time. I don’t find it adds much to my insurance personally, maybe £30 a year or something.

And if she is scared of driving a big vehicle for work, then she should get her extra training if they want her to drive it as part of her job. It isn’t a cheeky suggestion – if you don’t have a particular skill, then getting training to acquire it is a sensible thing to do, rather than just thinking that you never require any training because you did a very limited test 20 years ago and that anyone suggesting otherwise is a cheeky bugger.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joemarshall
    Free Member

Personal car doing what normal people do…hardly a call for business insurance. We live on the edge don’t we

Just make sure she doesn’t crash it badly on the way to the post office with a load of work parcels.

almightydutch
    Free Member

While I understand all the implications of the ‘business class’ insurance, there are a few on here that are missing the point.

Last month she did 31 miles in 20 days of work. The vast majority of this is going to the local post office or picking up lunch for other staff.
    So if you pick up a lunch for your workmate then you require business class insurance? Do me a favour!
    Pizza delivery drivers are a wee bit different aren’t they, they are actively working from their vehicle…hence needing business insurance.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I do approx. 200 miles per year for work. Still have to have business insurance.

If i was picking up lunch for a colleague i wouldn’t need it, but then it wouldn’t be something i could claim mileage for either

xiphon
    Free Member

There is a big difference (legally) between:

“visiting the post office for the boss, posting packages to clients”

and

“visiting the post office for the boss, posting a personal letter once a week, and collecting some lunch for a workmate and yourself”

1 is regarded as “business use”, 2 is regarded as “personal use”

crazy-legs

Last month she did 31 miles in 20 days of work. The vast majority of this is going to the local post office or picking up lunch for other staff.

Doesn’t matter, if you do ANY mileage at all for the company in your own car it needs to be insured for business purposes.

Even if it’s only 2 miles to the post office, you can still have an accident and when the insurance company find out that she’d “just nipped out” on company business, they’ll refuse to pay out.

My workplace is really hot on this kind of thing, we have to supply insurance paperwork, copy of driving licence etc every year.

jfletch
    Free Member

If she is claiming miles for it then its work and she needs business insurance.

If its not work then she shouldn’t be claiming miles for it. Can’t have it both ways.

ebygomm
    Free Member

In scenario 2 you wouldn’t expect to be paid mileage though. Paid mileage=business use

D0NK

doing work business
    and
    doing work business with some personal stuff aswell?

almightydutch
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

doing work business
    and
    doing work business with some personal stuff aswell?

That’s how I read it too. She’s been paid since they cancelled the daily post office pick up. Last 9 months has been fine with expenses etc…I think someone in HR just wanted something to do this morning.

legend
    Free Member

almightydutch – Member
    Surfer, you’re not 5’2″ are you?
    POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Cars get bigger as people get smaller?

samuri
    Free Member

A long time ago so may not be relevant any more.

I got picked up by this chap in a company car, and Astra I think. We then drove about 600 miles in total with him (he wouldn’t let me drive) screaming the nuts off it, spinning the wheels everywhere, hitting kerbs, tailgating, going backwards at 30mph+, doing well over a ton forwards, etc etc. He even hit a wall once. His justification? Company car innit.

It was only when we returned to the office and he dropped it off at the pool that I found out *he’d just taken the car*!!! The pool car guys were wondering where it was so we weren’t even insured for it.

The car looked really sad when we left it.

bails

If she’s being paid mileage then she needs business insurance. Just like others above have already said.

surfer
    Free Member

All relative, isn’t it. It’s not in comparison to, say, a double-decker bus or a Boeing 7474, but it’s huge compared to a Leon.

No I’m not 5″2 but lots of people are and I see them driving vehicles of various sizes. I dont think your height necessarily dictates the maximum vehicle size that you can drive.

xiphon
    Free Member

My #2 example above was implying she could not claim for mileage, just doing her boss a nice favour, without expecting to get paid for it.

Occasionally I will drop a business letter in a postbox on my cycle home.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think someone in HR just wanted something to do this morning.

by looking out for your wife and ensuring that she is properly covered in the event of a mishap whilst working?

They are doing the right (legal, business and moral) thing by her. Get over it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“No I’m not 5″2 but lots of people are and I see them driving vehicles of various sizes. I dont think your height necessarily dictates the maximum vehicle size that you can drive. “

this – my mothers 5ft and often although not her job ends up driving double decker and bendy busses between depots.

How ever i can empithise with your wife in the whole E class thing – to drive it does feel a very very wide car. Id sooner drive a transit down a narrow road than my parents E coupe.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think your wife needs to get a grip and drive the pool car, loads of small petite women drive huge 4×4 and other big cars.

Edric64
    Free Member

Sorry to be blunt but if she is not a confident driver maybe she needs extra training to boost her confidence and ability? Is she a new driver and lacking the miles under her belt to be confident ?

almightydutch
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong about the mrs, she could benefit from a ‘get over yourself’ slap frequently…although rather you than me try that.

I don’t think she’d have an issue with training…if her work paid for it but that’s not gonna happen. Why should she have to pay?
    The arguments about size of vehicle are almost fair enough but Trail rat hit the nail on the head. Its not the size of the vehicle that’s the issue, its the perceived size when inside the car.

TooTall – Member

I think someone in HR just wanted something to do this morning.

by looking out for your wife and ensuring that she is properly covered in the event of a mishap whilst working?

They are doing the right (legal, business and moral) thing by her. Get over it.

Funny how in the last 9 months they haven’t cared about this

Cougar

Why should she have to pay?

Because she needs something to boost her confidence and ability, no? Are you happy with her driving around all nervously? Doesn’t seem very safe to me.

Really, this is unrelated to the work issue. She doesn’t need training because she’s driving a bigger car, she needs training because she’s driving.

legend
    Free Member

“almightydutch – Member
    Don’t get me wrong about the mrs, she could benefit from a ‘get over yourself’ slap frequently…although rather you than me try that.”

Is she still reading this thread?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member
    I think your wife needs to get a grip and drive the pool car, loads of small petite women drive huge 4×4 and other big cars.

Most of the people I’ve seen driving huge 4x4s and other big cars dont have a clue how wide their vehicle is, or where reverse gear is.

jfletch
    Free Member

Funny how it took them 9 months to realise that

a) one of their employees was driving round on company business without the correct insurance

b) one of their employees has been claiming mileage for personal miles
    (delete as appropriate)

MrOvershoot

Strangely my wifes gran was only 5′ but hated small cars, her fave was a Merc 300 despite only just seeing over the dash!!

On the claiming mileage thing IIRC the only loophole for business insurance is if like me you get called out into work out of hours?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll maybe suggest using it at the weekends so then we can burn the company fuel for our own pleasure.

only if you want to be taxed on it..

No, it’s still a pool car, just gets disproportionate use by one person.

So if you pick up a lunch for your workmate then you require business class insurance? Do me a favour!
    Pizza delivery drivers are a wee bit different aren’t they, they are actively working from their vehicle…hence needing business insurance.

That’s why they ask you what your job is and how many miles you do. Mine added about £8 to the policy. I imagine pizza delivery mopeds must be borderline uninsurable.

bearnecessities

I expect most of us to get headhunted by large legal firms by the morning.

Once she drives a proper car she’ll love it. This could get expensive

Deserves some consideration that!

…and the issue about insurance is not necessarily for you good lady, or the third party, but the limitation of the firm getting their buttocks sued off as she is undertaking their bidding….which I believe is the employer indemnity clause mentioned earlier. By me. ‘cos I’m always right*

*not proven.

miketually
    Free Member

My employer won’t pay mileage for getting to courses or visiting other colleges, unless you’ve proven you have business use included in your insurance. It became a ‘thing’ a year or two ago.

Same for my wife’s employer. It cost nothing for her to add it.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ll have words with her when I get back. A few points for me to raise with her. Starting off with its only a car you silly bint (nothing like setting the mood straightaway)
    Along with a few other suggestions and thank you all for those.

She’s confident enough in her own car but struggles to be confident immediately in a ‘new’ car. In fact she drives like an arse sometimes but heyho we wont go down that route with all the ’31mph is breaking the law types on here’
    Davidtaylforth is bang on, yes you do see lots and lots of petite women driving around in Chelsea tractors….and YES they have no clue how big/wide/where reverse is etc.
    For her, the Seat Leon (2009 1.9TDI) is a proper car, its certainly an upgrade from the 12 year old Golf she was driving and the 8 year old Corsa before that.

Sandwich

Seems like someone in HR did a course recently and realised the potential for financial penalties to the employer.

djglover
    Free Member

Its a shame to loose 45p a mile though isn’t it!

Rich_s

Seems like someone in HR did a course recently and realised the potential for financial penalties to the employer.

Yes, and fairly large financial penalties if they fail to make sure their employees aren’t safe when traveling on company business!

It’s the liability they’re potentially picking up that they’re worried about – if you extrapolate it a bit then you’re really going down the route that if you’re traveling on company business and, despite them retiring you to have suitable transport, you are injured in an accident then they can be liable and add such might have to pay under an employers’ liability type claim.

As people have said, it doesn’t matter that the journey is short. If she doesn’t have cover she’s breaking the law. Technically, even if she doesn’t even divert off her route home to drop the banking off, it’s still business use and needs at least Class 1.

MrOvershoot – that’s commuting. As long as it’s to and from your usual place of work.

As with all this stuff, speak to your insurer if you’re not sure as interpretations vary. If you’ve bought the cheapest possible policy, good luck with finding clear answers and getting your claim paid…

MrOvershoot

Rich_s
    Your friendly insurer 😉

I guessed it was as our usual place of work!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great fun already 🙂

The extra training comments really mean a more advanced driving course of the kind normally provided by employers. They are very good and a lot more people could do with going on them.

Insurance, if your company has an ounce of common sense then they should have a copy of the license for everyone, insurance & MOT cert for any vehicle that people are using for business. The employer has a duty of care in that respect to check these things. No business insurance no use of your own car. Having never paid more than a few quid it’s worth having for the day you actually use it. Your car may be insured but not for what you are doing in it.

If there is a car paid for and sitting there then that should be used first. Simple economy there.

In companies if you make a rule – stick to the rule. As soon as Mrs whoever can drive her car not the pool car then everyone else has an excuse. For a few people mileage is a nice little earner.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

If she is claiming miles for it then its work and she needs business insurance.

If its not work then she shouldn’t be claiming miles for it. Can’t have it both ways.

Spot on..

Why on earth would you risk you’re own insurance for about £13 a month.

Man up and drive the Merc woman.

TooTall
    Free Member

Perhaps they were also ignorant of the law. As you were until you raised it on a cycling forum. It happens you know.

sidders34
    Free Member

I suspect the biggest issue for the company is corporate manslaughter. If your wife was to have an accident with a fatality and there was any fault with the car or incorrect insurance the company can face an unlimited fine.

We have some employees who use their own vehicle and they must provide copies of MOT, service records and evidence of regular fluid and tyre depth checks before they can use for company business.

Chris

almightydutch
    Free Member

We’ve had a good chat and she is going to call her insurance and get the least amount of business cover she can get.
    Although further on from this, the question was asked yesterday what happens if the pool car isn’t available….the answer she got was ‘Use your own car’
    So all of this and she still gets told to use her own. Minimal business cover will be added by end of day. Still effing barmy!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Can I be forced to use the pool car?’ is closed to new replies.