Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • can i ask your advice about a very generous gesture.
  • racefaceec90

right,you may have/not read a thread i did about getting a guitar for nowt from a kind chap who makes guitars.

well there have been problems with the delivery service,and it has been sent to the wrong place e.t.c (nothing to do with the thread though 😉

he has finally got the guitar to be sent to me (atm in transit to the depot)

he also said that he has a few pics of it on his website.

well just had a look at them and the guitar is bloody awesome 😀

BUT here is where my conscience really kicks off. it has a for sale price of £1249.00! 😯 i did originally offer him some money for his kindness but he insisted he didn’t want a penny 😯 (this was before i knew the price of it)

i just cannot accept something that expensive (he will be out of pocket big time!) especially as he has added a hard case and paid delivery also.

have messaged him as such (also saying i would return the guitar to him foc also).

even though i am not rich (and no chance of being able to afford a guitar at that price),i just cannot accept something that expensive tbh.

i know that he’ll reply back saying that he’ll want me to have it (he has done already).

it is an extremely kind gesture by jookychap (the gent in question).but just wondering what you would do?

here’s the original thread i did btw http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/am-slightly-excited-to-say-the-least-new-guitar-on-its-way

and the guitar in question http://jookyguitaremporium.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/introducing-668-one.html

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bake him a cake or summink. He wouldn’t have given it if he didn’t want to

People appreciate gestures just as much as long as there’s some thought gone into it.

Either that or next time he gives you lift somewhere……

khani
    Free Member

Write him a tune..
    Or a soapy ****…

qwerty
    Free Member

Kindness is nice. He knows it’s value in £ and his time & has chosen to give you a gift. Accept it without debt. Be generous to others when you can. Returning or insisting on payment could be rude. Enjoy the guitar.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: maybe you could keep the cycle going and give your old guitar to someone who’d appreciate it?

nathans77
    Free Member

Tell him you are very grateful and if he won’t take a token gesture ask him to nominate a charity you can donate to on his behalf. And enjoy the guitar!

Houns

Pop it on ebay. Buy a bike for that!

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could do him a sexual favour, this might be met with either chagrin or blustering fulfilment. However, choose your approach well 😆

racefaceec90

have offered him a slap up meal if he ever is around devizes at a local restaurant 😉

will also play him some real ropey tool riffs on said guitar as thanks also to him 😉 😕 😯 😮 😳

will do the charity payment also.

garage-dweller

Is there something non monetary that you can do (not that you lot!) to show your gratitude?

Some cause or charity he supports you could charity ride for or can you do something to promote the product – blog your learning of the AA tuning with lots of guitar pics for example?

He seems to want you to have it so if you believe that then giving something back indirectly could be a good bet or in the spirit of a film I saw years ago pay the kindness forwards to someone you encounter in need.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Accept it and enjoy it. I’ve given drawings and paintings away to people who maybe could not otherwise buy. It’s a really nice gesture and you should repay him by getting better and playing till your happy and your fingers hurt .

toppers3933
    Free Member

Accept the gift for what it is, a kind gesture by someone who has it to give. Live your life safe in the knowledge that not everyone is a materialistic shit. It’s a lovely gesture. Accept it and pass it forward. Don’t be rude after all the effort that’s gone into getting it to you.

sweepy
    Free Member

The traditional token up here is a bottle of malt. In this case a really nice bottle of malt, two if he’ll paint the **** 🙂

large418
    Free Member

Make sure you use the guitar – a lot. I am sure he would hate the thought it wasn’t being appreciated. And bake him a cake, do him a favour ( that involves your time and thought, not your money)

Mackem

Send him a really really nice bottle of Whisk(e)y.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Just turn it up to 11 and play it.

bearnecessities

Nice. Happy story.

Baking a cake only advisable if you can pull it off (not related to the soapy **** comment)

A hand-written letter would probably work better, and something that he could keep somewhere if he so wished. In exchange for his guitar, he’s got the letter of thanks from its new owner.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reacharound.

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with all the above – give him something which involves time and effort from you rather than money, and/or pass on the favour to somebody else.

The other thing to bear in mind is that it’s not actually costing him the amount he’s selling it for – I’ve no idea how these things work and what he’s actually had to pay for, but clearly it will be a lot less than that. Though I’m a little confused that you’re now surprised at the “price” when you mention on your original thread that he’d told you how much his guitars go for.

mefty
    Free Member

To be fair, he has got lots of free advertising as you’ve posted three threads on it!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Just do something nice for someone else. Karma.

I always like the enthusiasm and hope in your posts. Enjoy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sounds like putting yer heart and soul into Learning to play properly will be appreciated by him. If he hears ye in a few years time that’ll give him some satisfaction.

Short term send him a gift or something. Dunno what.

Klunk
    Free Member

play it, enjoy playing it, and every time you do think of the kind gesture. He obviously want you to enjoy it and think’s you’ll appreciate it and for him that’s reward enough.

ninfan
    Free Member

Agree with the charity comments – but maybe a nice gesture to do something like adopt a child/goat/zoo animal on his behalf so he can see where its gone, makes more of a personal connection

Would take something to top this gifted guitar tale though:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW1QsSIqGQ[/video]

racefaceec90

apologies for starting 3 threads about this,but am chuffed to bits tbh 😀

thanks for all the advice/coments,am thinking the whiskey route (i don’t drink any more so will have to read up on good bottles).

i can assure you though that i most definitely will be playing the guitar 😉 am looking forward to trying out A to A tuning

Northwind

Do something awesome for someone else. If you can’t do something this awesome, do 20 things less awesome.

AlasdairMc

Agreed, do something nice and unexpected for someone else.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Send him a video of you doing the riff from “Smoke on the water”

He’ll love that.

theotherjonv

Maybe there’s a backstory, and someone helped him out in a similar way when he needed it and he’s only in the position to be so generous because of it. Maybe there isn’t and he’s just a very nice bloke.

Accept it in good grace. Remember how good it makes you feel and one day when you are in a position to help out someone who needs it, remember it again.

Without knowing the other guy, I’m not sure a bottle of scotch is a good idea or even necessary. I assume he isn’t making the offer if he didn’t want to or couldn’t afford to. A note of gratitude, and the promise to learn to play it well would be my choice.

stumpy01

I’d accept it, send a letter/card thanking the person who has given it and then play it as much as i could.
    Situations change and maybe in the future you will be in a position to repay this generosity.

globalti
    Free Member

Bottle of very good malt or a case of his favourite beer or wine.

wwaswas

Bottle of very good malt or a case of his favourite beer or wine.

Do make sure the bloke’s not a recovering alcoholic who gives guitars away as a means of atonement for past wrongs he’s done whilst drunk first.

plumber
    Free Member

Theres nothing about that or his other guitars that look like £1249 to me

however a free guitar is a free guitar

brooess
    Free Member

Why not do the same for somebody else? – some kind of gesture of generosity… that way it gets passed on and the world becomes that little bit more pleasant

Cougar

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the chippie. I was full of ‘flu and my brain wasn’t functioning, I probably shouldn’t have been out on my own.

Got there to find I’d left my wallet at home. So I was asking “how much is a small chips” and coppering up, and an old shabby-looking bloke in the queue asked how much I needed. I stared at the coins in my hand and for the life of me I couldn’t work it out, it might as well have been differential calculus using Drogna.

So then he pipes up, “get him what he wants, I’ll pay.” I tried to refuse, he wouldn’t have it. So I made my order, tried to give the change I had and he wouldn’t accept that either. Explained that I could afford it, I’d just forgotten my wallet, but he was insistent. So I said, ok, I’ll put it in the charity box then; they had an Air Ambulance collection tin. He told me that if I did that he would be offended, he wanted me to keep the money, so I’d little choice but to put it in my pocket.

As I left, he was walking off down the street, I thought “well the least I can do is offer him a lift.” I was about to call over to him when he got to his own car, got in and drove off, in his E-class Merc. Oh.

Point I’m trying to make is, whilst my tale is (sorry) small potatoes in comparison, sometimes you just have to suck it up and let people be nice to you. Best thing you can do is enjoy the gift, treasure it; second best thing you can do is do a random act of kindness for someone else.

kimbers

give him your bike

Cougar

No, you have to do a random act of kindness for someone else.

Ergo, give me your bike.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

+

+

+

+

=

DezB
    Free Member

Is he going to clean the spillages off the guitar before giving it to you?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. this making guitars business looks like a laugh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘can i ask your advice about a very generous gesture.’ is closed to new replies.