Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can CX wheels be used as 29ers?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

And vice versa? Are all the tyres and tubes interchangeable? (Width permitting, of course)

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve put some 700-33 cx tyres on my stans race gold wheels
    And works just fine

It’s just the width you need to worry about

andytherocketeer

Dropout spacing could be an issue too. 29ers will be 135mm (or 142 X12, etc.). CX are generally 130mm spacing like road bikes, but some might be 135mm, and some might even be 132.5mm designed to swing both ways (probably more likely with steel frame).

GrahamS

CX are generally 130mm spacing like road bikes, but some might be 135mm

My Rose CX bike came with 135mm Mavic CrossRide 29er wheels on it (and Racing Ralphs).

pixelmix
    Free Member

Most disc CX bikes will have 135mm spacing. Running Stans Crest Hope Hoops 29ers here with no issue on my Kinesis Pro6. Gives quite a wide tyre profile which may or may not be your thing. I’m not bothered either way.

I’ll probably swap for Iron Cross rims soon, but only because I’ll use the Crests on a new 29er, and not because I’m desperate to change.

I’d say that proper CX rims would be okay for MTB to a point, as long as you aren’t looking at anything too narrow and hoping to run wide tyres.

andytherocketeer

My Droessiger CX bike came with 130mm Shimano 105 / Mavic Open Pro wheels.

chipps

Nearly all disc CX bikes now come with 135mm dropouts to make it easy to run/spec 29er disc wheels.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is a revelation to me. I’ve been having trouble with

a) Finding a cheap front wheel to try my Inred out as a 69er

b) Finding a nice wide rim for Ms Shermer’s Genesis Day One.

Bingo!

jonba
    Free Member

My commuter (pompetamine) has superstarcomponents 29er wheels on.

My CX bike is running Hope Pro 2 Evos and lighter rims.

The only things to look for is that CX wheels may be built up light rather than strong. Also the rims may be narrow so that CX tyres fit well so running wide mtb tyres may be an issue. I had the opposite problem in that the mtb rims were too wide to get narrow slick on so I’m unning a 32mm not a 25mm.

GrahamS

I had the opposite problem in that the mtb rims were too wide to get narrow slick on so I’m unning a 32mm not a 25mm.

I’m running 28mm Conti GP 4 Season on my CrossRide 29er rims (700x19c / ETRTO 622-19).

They seem fine, but I probably can’t go much narrower. I think.

(Mavic recommend a minimum tyre width of 1.5 – which I think translates to 28mm. Sheldon certainly reckons 28 is safe minimum on a 19c rim)

paul4stones

1.5 is more like 38 I think?

GrahamS

In theory, but “Brown’s Law Of Tire Sizing” from the same Sheldon page:

“If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal,
    but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction,
    these two tires will not be interchangeable.”

😀

GrahamS

According to the CTC the rule of thumb is:

“The ideal relationship between tyre and rim section is about 1.8 to 1, but any tyre from 1.4 to 2.2 times should fit”

So using that a 622-19 rim should take between 26.6 to 41.8 (which roughly tallies with Sheldon’s table).

Anyway, it seems to run just fine 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can CX wheels be used as 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.