Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can anyone tell me about 1st/2nd Claim?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Been a member of a large club for a few years and recently joined a 2nd club. I understand that my membership to the 2nd club is as 2nd claim but what does this actually mean?

Is it purely that when I enter an event I have to put the 1st claim club down?

Ta.

alfabus
    Free Member

isn’t it more that you get cheaper membership to the 2nd claim club, as you won’t need things like insurance.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Dunno the ins & outs, but in my club some events are only open to 1st claim members – I thought that might be something to do with insurance?

LS
    Free Member

You can be first claim member of as many clubs as you like, so long as the rules of the relevant clubs allow it. You can’t compete for two clubs at the same BCF discipline, though. So you can RR for club A, Cx for B etc.
    2nd claim still exists a little in TTs but very few bother with it.

Jase
    Free Member

OK cheers.

So sounds like from next year it would be ok for me to start riding events under the club I most recently joined.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

As a 2nd claim member i was told i’d have no liability insurance and as such wouldn’t be able to participate in any club TT’s so i didn’t bother in the end!

njee20
    Free Member

As a 2nd claim member i was told i’d have no liability insurance and as such wouldn’t be able to participate in any club TT’s so i didn’t bother in the end!

Similar experience, I looked at joining a local club so I could score points in their TTs (which I was allowed to ride as a guest), but was only open to 1st claim members. Considering I just wanted to do a few evening 10s it seemed a bit daft to me – was happy to always wear their kit for their events, so don’t really see what difference it would make!

kilo

Not sure that interpretation is correct if your first claim club is affiliated to rttc, as afaik, the rttc cover the insurance liability – hence people from other clubs riding club tt’s as guests. They may choose not to let other clubs ride their club events but their insurance reasoning sounds like bs.

In open RTTC tt’s you race for your first claim club only- you can in theory ride club events for your second claim club.

Our club tt series award is only open to first claim members but we let pretty much anyone who asks ride the actual club 10’s ( we manage to fit guests in despite an increase in field sizes over the last year or two)it’s part of the clubs role to encourage racing so why you’d turn people away unless you had a full field is beyond me

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Kilo – the above is what i was told by the 2nd claim Secretary so i took it as gospel and as such had to give up TTing so the bike was sold. My first claim is a racing team which is affiliated to the NOSCA and SCU but doubt the RTTC as they have no official ‘club’ events – only around a dozen members.

kilo

Also for tt’ing regs;

A rider may only be a first claim member of one club and must enter Open and Semi-open events in the name of that club. A rider who changes his club after the closing date for entries must ride in the name of the new club but is not eligible for any team award. A rider may only change his first claim club once in any calendar year.

afaik you decide which is your first claim club by either “resigning” from one upon joining a new club and “rejoining” as a second claim or joining a new club as a second claim member

kilo

epo-aholic – Member
    Kilo – the above is what i was told by the 2nd claim Secretary so i took it as gospel and as such had to give up TTing so the bike was sold. My first claim is a racing team which is affiliated to the NOSCA and SCU but doubt the RTTC as they have no official ‘club’ events – only around a dozen members.

I take it all back, the club was correct; for Scotland you do have to be first claim member of the club promoting to enjoy their liability insurance;

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/articles/scottish_cycling/club_confined_events_-_guidance_v4.0_FINAL.pdf

the rttc rules only apply to engalnd and wales

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone tell me about 1st/2nd Claim?’ is closed to new replies.