Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • can anyone recommend some panniers and a rack please
  • iamroughrider
    Free Member

I am after some panniers to carry bike locks and also other goods.Thinking of maybe securing them so they cannot be removed from the rack (whilst empty – maybe just one side ) although this is probably something I need to make/workout/bodge myself maybe. After some long lasting reasonable quality ones of reasonable size and quite heavy duty. Not too concerned if they are not water proof as I hopefully can get a waterproof cover – even if it’s a basic ebay one. A carrying strap would be good too, rather than just a handle – should I decide to carry one ( or maybe two ). Although this is not essential.

Looked on the bay and a few online retailer but haven’t really been impressed by options so far.Interested in any online deals if that’s possible too.

Not too sure about racks either – bike doesn’t have any rack mounts – although I may be able to place a hole in the rear dropout plate, should this be required. Also after a decent heavy duty one, if possible.

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks as always

philjunior
    Free Member

No recommendations as such (my most recent panniers are Ortleib and are great and waterproof, but only one compartment on my model), but I would say consider carefully whether you need waterproof panniers or waterproof covers.

My last set had covers and they got filled up with water from the wheel at the back when it was particularly wet, which trickled down and gathered in the bottom (though there were drain holes here it wouldn’t keep anything near the bottom of the pannier dry).

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Good size, heavy duty, excellent quality, carrying strap – Ortleib back roller classics. They also lift off one-handed, so never really any need to lock them to the bike, and they’re fully waterproof. Traditional STW suggestion of not really what you asked for, but they’ll do the job you want to do better than leaving empty panniers locked to the bike and using a rain cover would.

EDIT – Deals-wise, I got the city version (no carrying strap) from deporvillage.fr for a good price, not sure if it’s still the best price once you’ve added UK postage. Free to France though 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tootallpaul

How about bikebins?

http://bikebins.com/

Definitely could be secured to the bike…

woody2000

Slight hijack, sorry – I’ve got a single Ortlieb back roller classic (red) for sale if you’re interested OP (can only buy them in pairs normally). £42 posted

Has shoulder strap and adapters for different sized rack rails

TiRed

Ortlieb back roller and whatever Tubus rack grabs your fancy. Most racks are pretty good, to be honest, steel is more durable, stainless steel more spendy, titanium probably overkill for most. Also I like one that has a good rear light fitting so I can fit my standard cateye lights using their rack mount.

I also have an Orlieb Downtown briefcase that mounts onto the rack with their QR3 fitting – this leaves the clips on the rack for a flush back that makes carrying it off the bike much nicer.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

thanks everyone – much appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘can anyone recommend some panniers and a rack please’ is closed to new replies.