Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me some simple, stylish SPD shoes?
  • Talkemada
    Free Member

New to this forum, but it seems to be the place to get advice on all sorts of things!

I'm after a pair of SPD shoes, that I can wear around town, that don't look too 'sporty' or 'mountainy', if there is such a thing. all the shoes I've seen recently seem to be of these types, with nothing that really suits my needs. Thing is, I don't want to look like a 'cyclist' everywhere I go, so I'm just after something simple and understated. I have a pair of Specialized Sonoma shoes, that fit the bill, but they're falling to bits, hence the need for a replacement. The current Sonomas aren't as nice, and have straps, which I don't want.

Is there anything that I haven't seen? Am I asking too much?

Something like this, with an SPD sole, is what I'm after really.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Use pedals with spd one side, flat the other.

Simples!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Yes, I've got a pair of those pedals somewhere, and had thought about that, but the 'flat' side is a bit 'recreation bike', and not that great for grip. If there was a version with a DMR V8/MX30 type side, then that would be better.

I'm after something I can have a decent length ride in, but be able to stop off to meet friends for a drink/food etc, visit a gallery or mooch around the shops, without looking too spoddy. Trouble with 'normal' shoes is that they're too flexible for longer rides, and soles get destroyed by the pins in flat pedals.

woody2000

MP66? Depends on your definition of stylish I suppose!

disco_stu
    Free Member

the 661 range of spd shoes look pretty good, when my shimano dx ones wear out i might give em a try

Padowan
    Free Member

In the summer, this would be a nice solution!

Esme
    Free Member

Are these any good? Exustar Stelvio

Jerome
    Free Member

Looking here also
    Last ones will not take cleats me think.
    There is a real gap here in the market…

nickb

This is what you want:

Lovely looking shoes (well, I think). Not cheap though.

Check out http://www.dromarti.com

Nick

Talkemada
    Free Member

Thanks for your input.

Those sandals look very comfy for summer, but not quite what I had in mind!

The white DX ones remind me of an ocean liner. The Exustar ones are close to what I'm after, thanks Esme. I may buy a pair to try, can always send them back if they're no good.

As for those Dromarti; I have some lovely Merrel shoes that look a bit similar, but HOW MUCH? 😯

Jerome; I do think there's a gap in the market. Most SPD shoes look either bulky or have silly colours and/or loads of plastic bits sticking out all over. I know cycling is a 'sporty' activity, but it's also a means of transport. I don't see why 'cycle' clothing can't be a bit more stylish or 'normal' looking.

midlifecrashes

Northwave seem a bit less geeky than some, City Cruisers?

Exustar Stelvio 705?

Diadora did one called Bike Patrol too, but think it's an older model. I just use A520 pedals on my commuterised road bike, same weight as 520s, but the flat side is fine when I want to ride in civvies.

midlifecrashes

Oops, missed the Keen link off there: look at the Austin, as well as the sandals!

Keen

hoochylala
    Free Member

In light of nickb's suggestion, which are lovely btw 🙂 how about something similar, but cheaper!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46594

Or does the 'SPD' written on the side spoil it 🙁

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well you haven't disappointed me!

Some really good info here. Those Keen shoes look ideal (they look 'normal'!), are they available in the UK? The problem is trying them on. Which is why I'm having no joy in any bike shops I've visited, as they mostly carry a very limited range of the usual suspects.

hoochylala; I'm not fussed about the 'SPD' logo on the side really, as it's quite subtle.

Good to see that there are actually some alternatives, though.

kimbers

unfortunately stylish and spd shoes dont go hand in hand

these look great though mbuk gave them a very poor review

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=50387

tinsy
    Free Member

Plenty stiff, great comfort, and breathing, look nice…. but no grip for hike a bike in mud..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=25524

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hmm, the more I look at those Exustar shoes, the more I think they look like those 'comfy' shoes you see in the back pages of tabloid Sunday supplements; the ones aimed at 'more mature' persons!

I really appreciate all the input though. Very helpful of everyone, thanks.

So far, the Keen ones appeal most (anyone know of a UK stockist, preferable South East/London based?). The sort of thing that can be worn with jeans or causal trousers. I'm not a great fan of 'skate' style shoes.

I'm also cursing nickb; there's something about those Dromarti shoes that makes me want them!

And so the search continues…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me some simple, stylish SPD shoes?’ is closed to new replies.