Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a tool roll
  • andybrad

So ive got a crossmax backpack. Its ok and has a few pockets but im allways rumaging around for bits when fixing others bikes. Im wondering if a tool roll would be a nice addition? Or maybe its more hassle than its worth.

Im concerned about the tools getting wet if i have to get it out in the rain. Is this an issue?

Do they make it easier or just easier to loose the tools your not using in the undergrowth?

can you recommend one (if they are any good?)

scotroutes

Tools? A multi tool and a tyre lever or two (Pedros are good coz they come in bright colours and won’t get lost in the undergrowth)?

StackEd

Camelbak do a tool roll, but it is £25. Not got one myself tbh, but it may be on my Christmas list

Gary_M
    Free Member

Im concerned about the tools getting wet if i have to get it out in the rain. Is this an issue?

Surely you would keep the tool roll in a plastic bag, remove tool roll from plastic bag, take out required tool, place roll back in plastic bag.

But how many tools do you carry that it requires a tool roll? As above multi-tool, tyre levers, co2 inflator & gas, pump. What other tools do you carry?

chrismac

I dont understand the point of toolrolls as I dont know what people carry that needs one. Multitool, tube, brake pads, pump is all I need

STATO
    Free Member

With my osprey tool roll it soaks up the water if the bag is getting soaked (It lives in an zipped pocket at the bottom of the bag) or you lay it out on the trail, so everything rusts unless you remember to dry it out afterwards. Should be ok if you keep your roll in the main bag and remember to put it out to dry if you’ve had it out in the rain.

rossburton
    Free Member

I wanted a tool roll as I was losing small things at the bottom of the bag but yeah 20/30 quid is a bit spendy. Ended up learning how to use a sewing machine and knocked one up:

Prototype (kids old PJs):

Real thing (my old tee):

The tool roll has the usual suspects but all in one safe place: multitool, mini pliers, CO2 cylinder, quicklinks, tyre levers, stans value removal tool for emergency refills, tube patches, and a few zipties through the hem on the top flap. It’s not pretty but it’s been working for several years, and means I can move all my tools from my bag to the saddlebag without forgetting anything.

FWIW I did ask Becky@WeeCog if she’d do a tool roll and apparently a few people have asked, so there’s another option if you can wait until next year.

STATO
    Free Member

I dont understand the point of toolrolls as I dont know what people carry that needs one. Multitool, tube, brake pads, pump is all I need

If the ride is long enough to need a pack over bottle and stuff on the frame then itll have the normal basics you list plus gear cables, pliers/leatherman, patches/tubeless bungs, some spare bolts and usually a spare jockey wheel (which ive had to use before, which was lucky). Its not a lot but nice to keep it all together.

mr_stru

Tool rolls are also handy if you have more than one pack. Less likely to miss something when swapping between them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a tool roll’ is closed to new replies.