Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a cordless drill
  • timidwheeler

I need a cordless drill, but I am a girl, so I know nothing about them.

Please help.

andyha
    Free Member

Metao from ITS

cloudnine
    Free Member

What will you use it for? How much use will it get?

tthew

Lithium ion batteries these days are a must, and a second battery comes in very handy. 18 volts is best and a hammer action if you are likely to need to drill walls.

How much do you want to spend?

Edit – this one probably decent. mmmm, drill

timidwheeler

For general household use. Putting up pictures, hanging mirrors, building a climbing wall, drilling out rounded-off nuts from my headset.
    Usual stuff.
    No budget as I don’t know what I need.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you want it for a variety of tasks, drilling into brick, metal, wood etc then I’d go for a Combi drill of some kind.

Mine is a Dewalt DC795

https://www.howetools.co.uk/dewalt-dcd795m1-18v-combi-drill-13mm-keyless-chuck?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CIa13Nj4iMoCFYOfGwodvJ8J5w

and gets daily use in the construction industry but Makita, Bosch professional, Hitachi etc. will all have something available probably as good. Avoid the green Bosch models and the cheapest Dewalt drills as they have a plastic chuck, they’ll work just not as long.

I’d look for a deal with a couple of 1.5ah batteries if poss as one can be charging whilst the other in use also they’re lighter to handle, having said that the link I’ve shown has a 4.0ah battery which will keep going a long time whilst being heavier to use.

My 795 will drill holes using a masonry bit in all but the toughest concrete up to 10mm, has a 3 speed gear box for extra torque and a clutch for screw driving (all though I never use it for this) With HSS drill bits will drill up to 13mm holes in metal.

andyha
    Free Member
    dougieb
    Free Member

I bought one of these twin packs after years of cheap cordless drills – http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck235c2-14-4v-1-5ah-li-ion-twin-pack-combi-drill-impact-driver-xr/35109. Brilliant buy and would thoroughly recommend

jakd95
    Free Member

Dewalt are decent quality and robust enough.

timmys

Just bought this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-Lithium-Hammer-Drill/dp/B00DSJWV4I/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1451663281&sr=1-2&keywords=drill

Was the cheapest 18v Lithium Ion by a country mile (£50 reduced from £110). Haven’t used it in anger but seems OK.

If I was willing to spend more I would have gone for this;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAKITA-8391DWPE-TK-Ni-Cad-Batteries-Pieces/dp/B0044ATOFO/ref=sr_1_8?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1451663281&sr=1-8&keywords=drill

timidwheeler

Thanks all.
    I’ve got a big mains powered drill so I’m probably looking more at a smaller, lighter model than a big can be used all day type thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wow that nicad makita for 115 quid probably rates as worst deal of 2016 so far.

Bnq were knocking out 18v liion psb 18s ( i think thats the model name) green bosch anyway. For 65 quid with 2 batterys. Stotting little drill had mine for 5 years its done everything ive asked of it.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I just bought a Dewalt DCD776 that comes with 2 18v lithe ion batteries in a hard case for £99. Considering the batteries are £38 each, seemed like a god d deal.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Just having lithium ion batteries does not constitute a good deal. There are many varying capacities and what will work for you best will be determined by the work load and frequency with which you’ll need to recharge the battery/ies.
    As with most things, the items that appear to be the best deal are often not so.
    Watch out for deals with low capacity batteries. They are rife at places like screw fix, b&q and the like. A decent drill with 1x 4 Ah battery is better than one with 2x 1.3 Ah.

kimbers

Got a black and decker like the one above and used it loads, lasted way longer than I thought it would considering the price

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve had a Makita one for about 8 years now, great it of kit and never let me down.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep a big battery which as a diyer will invariably be uncharged when you want it so you need to wait for it to charge – which as a bigger battery takes longer. Or youcan stick one on charge and use the other or partially charge one quickly and leave the other one charging!

Give me 2 x1.5s over a 3ah any day. Tools lighter to use, usually by te time my 1.5ah batter is dead its time fo a cup of tea anyway 🙂

Different if i was on site doing a days graft rather than diy.

CHB

Makita from the like of FFX or Toolstop if you want a drill to keep for years. Some really good 18V deals with battery, drill, case, charger. ( I am a big Makita fan, and once you have a charger and battery, you can buy the bare tools for very sensible prices.)
    If you just want it for very occasional use then something from Lidl or Aldi with a 3 year warranty will be OK.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

female
    STEP AWAY FROM THE DRILL 😀

pk13

Hard to beat the hitachi that screw fix they sell every now and then for about £75. Other than that I’m a huge Mikita fan I’ve used them professionally for years.
    Money no object hilti

duncancallum

Ryobi 18v lion

Power good build quality n cheap

cardo

Makita … Flawless in over 12 months of use , and you can swap the batteries around for your other tools or radio

dannybgoode

Occasionally Lidl have a cordless sds drill. I have one and its brilliant. Lithium ion battery and sds means it will do through things a normal hammer do will not (1890’s house here so some walls are very hard to drill).

I then have a bosch normal drill for wood, plastic etc as sds is a bit much then…

erny
    Free Member

I’m a joiner and use these for all day everyday use http://m.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd795d2-gb-18v-xr-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-brushless-motor/94484 great bit of kit, interchangeable batteries for jigsaw/skilsaw etc.
    These are great value http://m.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776c2-gb-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-xr/17648 if it’s more occasional use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive a £150 Makita LXT from screwfix, haz a 4ah battery which lasts all day but does tdjr about ab hour to charge from flat if you forget.

I did read somewhere that the advantage of bog batteries is they can supply bigger currents for longer, 400W on a 1.5ah battery is a lot more currrnt from each cell than a 4ah one, so drilling masonry with a small battery will kill it eventually as well as just going flag quicker.

But equaly 2 small batteries can be more convenient. But (again) 4ah battery on a fast charger will br half full by the time you’ve had a cup of tea.

alanl
    Free Member

Hmm, lots of recommendations for 18 volt drills.
    I’m not at all keen on them. I find them too heavy and bulky (are new ones (<5yo) better than old ones?).
    I’ve currently got a 12V Festool which does everything. It’ll be out of the price range of DIYers though.
    For myself, for general household duties, I’d be getting a 10 to 14v model. Pretty much anything over £50 will give 3+ years of service.
    And a mains SDS drill for masonry, again, available for £50 upward.

bencooper
    Free Member

I need a cordless drill, but I am a girl, so I know nothing about them.

Sorry 😉

Makita is a good choice – it’s what I use now, though DeWalt lasted me very well for a long time too. 18V if you don’t mind a heavy drill (though some of the new brushless Makitas are pretty light anyway), lower voltage for a smaller drill if you don’t need all that oomph.

nickjb
    Free Member

A cheap one may do the job but having used a few budget models over Christmas while visiting relatives I’m very happy to come home to my makita. Night and day difference. No need for two batteries with its 20 minute charger. Great at drilling and screwing. Weight is fine for arms length use. Just make sure you get an lxt rather than the b&q model with funny batteries.

timidwheeler

Cheers guys, for all your help.
    I’ll get the pink one.

😆

properbikeco
    Free Member

that makita pink one is very good – try and get the hammer version though HP330
    the impact driver is also very good TD090

I have both and can’t fault them, esp if you have a heavier drill to deal with masonry

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a cordless drill’ is closed to new replies.