Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a cheap’ish single speed chainset and bb?
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

As per the title really, I’m looking for a new 175mm chainset and bottom bracket with a single front ring (something like 32/34/36 T). CRC have a few RaceFace ones but the cheaper models seem to get fairly poor reviews on MTBR, can anyone point me in the direction of an alternative? Price around £100-£140 would be good and ideally with a bash ring and not too heavy.

Ta.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Anyone?

bent_udder
    Free Member

Get a normal chainset and stick a single ring on it. I picked up a Truvativ Stylo a while back for #90 and boshed an SJS Cycles ring on it. I’ve never used a single speed specific crankset. Besides, you can hang onto the ramped rings and chuck them on your geared bike when you come to replace the drivetrain…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrTall
    Free Member

Second that idea. I bought an XT chainset and then used a singlespeed specific BETD 34t front ring and kept the XT rings as spares for my other bikes, or you could sell them on here for around £40-£50 to offset against the price of a new chainset.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Good idea, I wonder whether those £65 FSA V-Drive cranksets in the sale on on-one are any good?

MrTall
    Free Member

I looked at those to pimp up the girlfriends bike a bit, seems like a great deal as the cheapest i could find them elsewhere was around £115. Can’t go too wrong at that price really.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Okay so £65 for the cranks, £20 for a ring, £20 for a bash = £105. They also have SLX single and a bash listed for £125 (although I can’t work out whether they are in stock). Hmmm, decisions, decisions…

tinsy
    Free Member

I run a Campagnolo Centaur ultra torque compact road chainset on my bike as either 1×9 or SS its got a fully serviceable BB (external) if and when the bearings go (and they dont if you clean and grease it from time to time) the bearings are availiable for £20 you can sell on the outer ring, and should you wear the front ring out, middleburn do unrampped rings for it. Comes with a 34t that will get you rolling for no extra outlay, its stiff, light and looks nice…. Oh and did I mention its FULLY SERVICEABLE. Might be worth a look.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Mmmm, nice. So did you need shorter chainring bolts? Might be tricky getting a bash in that bolt pattern?

tinsy
    Free Member

I did manage to get a bashring for it, but its not the most asthetic things, if your running SS would you need the bash? 34t is pretty well out of the way for XC stuff, I had to run the bash on 1×9 to help the chain stay on… and yes, without the outer or bash I had to get shorter bolts. but you will with whatever you get. Not sure where the bash came from now, someone here pointed me the right direction for it.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I run a 36 x 18, and rarely ground the chainring on stuff. I’m assuming this is your first or second singlespeed, and if so, don’t worry too much about buying a fancy crank. Get something that works, and save the upgradeitis for later 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

got a truvativ firex on my inbred ss. it works and its got a bash ring and was cheap as beans

ChrisS
    Free Member

It’s actually for a 1×9 setup, hence the bash which I was going to use with an n-gear jump stop, although I guess I could just use a different sort of chain device.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Problem solved: second hand lx chainset off the classifieds, single ring and bash from CRC, jump stop from billys.

Thanks for all the help.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Ah – my mistake – I can see why the bashguard now!
    Good to hear it’s all sorted. Best of luck…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a cheap’ish single speed chainset and bb?’ is closed to new replies.