Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a 29 x 1.8 -> 2.0 tyre
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’m looking for a pair of fairly low volume tyres, all rounder rather than minimal tread as i want them to be able to deal with mud

Anyone know of any bargains around at the moment?

jimjam
    Free Member

Beaver?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

they are on my list of possibles

theotherjonv

Kenda Honey Badger, good in all but proper sticky mud apparently. My 2.05 seems to come up quite small compared to others.

flatfish
    Free Member

Ardent

thomthumb
    Free Member

what about 700x 47c tyres. schwalbe do smart sams and land cruisers (and i’m sure others) in this size.

everyone
    Free Member

Low volume

Ardent

One of these is what the OP wants, the other is an ardent.

My votes for the beaver, although I’d say that it’s more of an xc race mud tyre than a proper full on gopfest tyre

adjustablewench
    Free Member

the smallest 29er ardent i can see is the 2.25 – is there a smaller version?

happybiker
    Free Member

Beavers are great in the mud yet still fast.

oliverracing

bonty xr mud? Amazing in the mud pretty good in the dry and not too slow on the road either. I run the 2.0 and it’s a true 2.0, so I guess the 1.8 is going to be pretty narrow!

everyone
    Free Member

I wish those bontys came in 650b 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for Beaver. Light and fast rolling too.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Plus one for the Mud X, frikkin great tyres

adjustablewench
    Free Member

i tried to find bonty xr and only found a front in je james – or do you mean the mud xr?

i want an all round tyre that can deal with mud – personally i;m hoping this dryish spell continues for a while and i wont be having to test it in full on mud (although i fear a bog or two may be on the agenda in the bb200!)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The mud X is now called the XR mud.
    They’re great tyres. I put them on in the autumn and change them in May/June.
    The handle everything well, wet grass,loam, sand,gravel, but especially mud!
    I’ve not tried the beaver but the bontys are much better on wet roots than Maxxis’s previous mud tyre, the Medusa.
    2 winters now on my 1.8s,and they’re still fit for more.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spesh purgatory 2.1? They’re my default October-Easter tyre.

mcnultycop

I’d go for a beaver, I have the 2″ in 26er format and they are superb.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

ok so i went to bed last night pretty convinced i was going to get the beavers – but woke up thinking about smart sams in 1.75?!

do i need to have a word with myself or have i actually had a good idea – they are light and supposedly good for most terrains, but if wales gets a mahoosive downpour this week it all may go very wrong.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Spesh Storm control. Very draggy on hard pack, but eats mud up really well.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Famous last words – but i’m not expecting a mud fest, i just want a low volume tyre that can handle a bit of mud.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a 29 x 1.8 -> 2.0 tyre’ is closed to new replies.