Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • can anyone recommend any mtb "challenges"?
  • bestvetsarah

Just got back from the Sam Houghton Challenge in Staveley. What a well organised, relaxed and fun event. There’s always a few try-hards of course, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves immensely. And the afterparty was fantastic! Can anyone recommend any other similar events within 3 hours of West Yorkshire?

vickypea
    Free Member

I was there too, had a great day. But what’s a “try-hard”?

Hit The North is a great MTB event in north Manchester every February, friendly and fun, though not what I’d call relaxing.

rick1001
    Free Member

There is a British heart foundation peak district challenge in September, done it last 2 years really good fun get everything from lycra clad racers to families who don’t realise what the peaks are like. 3 different routes to choose from and its £25 to enter which goes to a good cause, and well run marshalled etc

beej

Were you not trying then?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Colne Valley mtb Challenge is certainly a challenge, some of the hills are nuts!

Not the best biking though, the trail bits are basic and there’s a lot of road work, but strangely ive done it the last 2 years in a row

Scapegoat

Overgate Hospice runs from Elland, more than once a year, Calderdale MTB Marathon, Pennine X, Holme valley MTB Challenge September and all of those within West Yorks

bestvetsarah

Thanks for the suggestions guys and girls. CMBM starts less than a mile from my house, so that’s firmly in the diary every year. I must “try harder” to get back before the food runs out next time. Also the Sue Ryder Big K is an excellent ride. Will check out the other events and maybe see you there!

MrSparkle

If your passport is in order you could venture over to the right side of the Pennines for the Mary Towneley mtb challenge in September. ;0)

vickypea
    Free Member

I tried very hard, I was trashed at the end 😀

bestvetsarah

vickypea, you are my hero! I considered myself lucky to get back without sunstroke….. now the MTL…that’s a BIG ride, hmmmm.

stumpyjon

MTL Challenge is a good one, most people start off competitive but by half way around (when the leaders are finishing) it’s more communal beat the trail and survive. It’s a real sense of achievement to finish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘can anyone recommend any mtb "challenges"?’ is closed to new replies.