Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a good read?
  • starrman82
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommends for a good read? I usually read thrillers & the like but looking for some humor for a change, not read a genuine funny read for a while.
    Ta

Mackem

Robert Rankin.
    Kurt Vonnegut – Breakfast of Champions

zippykona

The Flashman books have humour,thrills and sauciness.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I love Jeeves and Wooster.

And also Saki (H.H. Munro) esp. The Chronicles of Clovis (pretty sure they are now public domain)

*Edit – yep: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3688

+1 for Breakfast Of Champions.

And for more exquisite blokey humour – ‘Three Men In A Boat’ http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/308

mrwhyte
    Free Member

James Cracknell’s autobiography, bloody brilliant!

Also, Danny Wallace- Join Me

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chris Stewart books are ace, driving over lemons and all the subsequent titles. Especially if you like foreign travel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

J&W are a perennial delight.
    Perhaps try som Jasper Fforde as well, for inspired and clever silliness.

Mackem

Roddy Doyle – particularly the Barrytown trilogy

CountZero

Bill Bryson’s books, which are sort of travel books, are genuinely funny, as well as educational, he chucks in all sorts of of facts, which add to the humour.
    He takes the piss out of everyone, including himself, in a gentle fashion, which adds to the appeal.

z1ppy

The Martian by Andy Weir, humor, thriller (of sorts) & a great read. More humorous are John Scalzi’s Agent to the Stars & Fuzzy Nation

aa
    Free Member

Perry Groves autobiography. Genuine laugh out loud moments, will help if you like football though

MrSparkle

Recently read Joe R Lansdale’s – The thicket. Funny and pretty gruesome at times. A great read.

drslow
    Free Member

Have you considered Christopher Brookmyre? Thriller of sorts with black humour.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Terry Pratchett’s Discworld. It was my first real introduction to fine comedy/satire and became a lifelong fan very quickly.

Begin at the beginning…

ElShalimo

Tim Moore books are very good, the sort of books you’re crying with laughter on a train and everyone thinks you’re mad

maxtorque

^^^ Not actually a “comedy” book, but incredibly funny in places!

Follow Charlie on Twitter too: Charlie on twitter

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tim Moore and Bryson are both good calls, as is the “Attention all shipping” recommendation.

See also this lunacy;

And, Jasper Rees, “Bred of Heaven”.

Cougar

If you want actual funny, you’re into the realms of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, Tom Holt. They’re all authors I’ve had to put down to recover before I could carry on reading.

Have you considered Christopher Brookmyre? Thriller of sorts with black humour.

+1 to this. Similarly, Mike Carey’s Felix Castor novels.

Cougar

Terry Pratchett’s Discworld.

Begin at the beginning…

Speaking as a PTerry fan, it’s probably worth noting; you should start at the beginning, but the first couple of books are relatively poor. Stick with it if you do, they get better.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ good call. I was lucky as began with ‘Mort’. Talking of which, totally forgot until is moment, but I wonder which ex has my original ‘Mort’ figurine ? GrrrrrrARRGHHHH!

tang
    Free Member

Tim Cahill for good travel/adventure. Last one I read ‘Jaguars ripped my flesh’ – a collection of writing from ‘Outside’ mag had me laughing as well as being pretty insightful.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck.

A hilarious road trip around the US with Steinbeck and his dog Charley.

Two Roads to Dodge City.

Another road trip classic. Father and Son start at each side of the US and meet in Dodge City. The book is a compilation of the letters they write to each other in the days before emails.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Roads-Dodge-City-Chronicle/dp/0060390646

stealthcat

Jonas Jonasson – The hundred year old man who climbed out of a window / The girl who saved the king of Sweden. Surreal and hard to put down…

paladin

Irvine welsh – a good ride

porlus
    Free Member

Just finished reading “Not on my patch lad” by Mike Pannett. Its based on when he was a rural bobby based in Malton by York. Enjoyed it loads and knew some of the places in the book really well.

starrman82
    Free Member

Thanks guys, lots to take a look at. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Jonathan Coe’s What A Carve Up.

A hugely relevant critique of modern free-market politics, which also happens to be hilarious.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As another Terry Pratchett fan here, I’d suggest you don’t start at the beginning. The books get better as the series goes on. If you started with ‘Going Postal’ and enjoyed it, that is followed by ‘Making Money’ and ‘Raising Steam’ with mostly the same cast. Then, when you’re hooked, go back a bit.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a good read?’ is closed to new replies.