Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a good first MTB holiday in France or Spain?
  • timnwild

I'd like lots of singletrack, decent grub and somewhere to go out for a beer or two in the evenings. There's loads of ads in singletrack, but has anyone had good/bad experiences woth any of the companies?

Thanks

postierich
    Free Member

Sierra cycling

Rides are tailored to the guests shared private pool and beach within 200 metres free beer and lots of bars in the resort.

Guest 5 years ago and going back in June for two weeks to hone in my fitness for racin season 🙄

Finchie85
    Free Member

I'd recommend Tour De Mont Blanc with MBMB. They describe it as their 3 countries tour. I did it last year as a first Alps trip, was hard work but the singletrack decents are AMAZING, listening to the brakes ticking because they are so hot from over use. Have a look at http://www.mbmb.co.uk pretty reasonable price as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Agree with Postie. Sierra is a good deal and set up. More Xc/trail type riding, but Alan can sort of lift assisted stuff to.

stealthcat

If you want singletrack and good food, try A Quick Release in Luchon. Great riding and the best food I've ever had on a bike holiday…

hainey
    Free Member

TrailAddiction based in Les Arcs truelly are world class when it comes to alpine holidays, we have been with them many years now and they cater for absolutly everyone. Everything from the phenomenal trails, great accommodation and superb food makes me go back every year.

http://www.trailaddiction.com

uplink
    Free Member

Another vote for Sierra Cycling if you want plenty of places to eat & drink as well as good riding
    Right on the beach too if you like that sort of thing

If you're happy with just the odd bar & restaurant, there's loads of companies to choose from though

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

bike village are just excellent.
    fabulous food, stunning trails – techy singletrack mainly – although because they have a maximum of 12 guests (unlike some of the other operators in the region, who may have up to 50) its super adjustable to the group. you also really get to know the other people in the groups, and the guides are just brilliant.
    they also have a very good raport with the locals – friends with many, get a lot of their food from them etc, and as such are well respected by the locals.

beer wise there are bars in the village, but also a lovely little shop which sells plenty, along with a beer fridge, cheery tree, hammocks and loads of space outdoors (along with plenty of (free) wine at dinner).

this summer will be my 7th visit (and their 10th season). can't wait.

bike village

duntmatter
    Free Member

Another vote for Sierracycling here. Picked up from Malaga airport and you can be taking a beer out of the fridge in 20 minutes.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ciclo Montana in Spain, small groups, nice pool, family run., great food, 18 years of trail knowledge = brilliant.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
    We are based on the coast in Southern Spain.
    Great singletrack rides during the day & lively night life on the coast at night.
    Check us out on http://www.sierracycling.com.

timnwild

Thanks for all the tips – really appreciate it.

brick
    Free Member

Not been to Sierra for a few years but would love to go back.
    Compared to what i've ridden since (Alps & Switchbacks) the trails were pretty easy going and weren't all singletrack if that is a definite condition.
    Alan is a fabulous host and the guides at the time we went, Drew, Anna & Tim, were excellent.
    I think we ended up going four or five years in a row so thats a recommendation in itself.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Compared to what i've ridden since (Alps & Switchbacks) the trails were pretty easy going and weren't all singletrack if that is a definite condition.

Brick, time change, our rides are now mainly singletrack and we can definately match anything the other companies have to offer with the bonus of being on the coast.

Sanny
    Free Member

Basque MTB

I can't recommend them highly enough. The itinerary can be tailored to your likes and dslikes. I can't wait to go back.

One thing you might want to consider though is that it's not unknown some of the guides for the less reputable companies to add on the cost of their meal, drinks bill etc to large groups so that you in effect subsidise them when you eat out. Unfortunately they're not always up front about it which would leave a nasty taste in the mouth………. : 👿
    Cheers

Sanny

senorj

ciclomontana are awesome –
    they are able to combine my two great passions – cycling and food!!!!!
    top tucker ,great riding and good crack as a bonus.
    (crack =conversation ,not class A's)

there is a bar a little walk away (15 min).
    J.

cofiaddict
    Free Member

Have a look at this film which was made a couple of weeks ago,
    http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/monday-morning-mpora-video-medley.html
    its the top one, Sierra Nevada and other bits
    Top trails, cheap beer and free tapas!
    http://www.ridesierranevada.com

Bregante
    hummerlicious
    Free Member

don't forget freeridespain!

I've been three times, good guys, great trails 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Another recommendation here for TrailAddiction. Or Rivierabike on the Italian side of the Alps.

Both have lots of singletrack, rides tailored to the group, excellent guiding, excellent food.

Thought Spain was more of a rock fest, but would recommend Freeridespain. The weather is more guaranteed in southern Spain

rickmeister

+1 for CicloMontana… How do they do it for the money! Top outfit, great riding.

gruffalosoldier
    Free Member

Another vote for Bike Village.

Had a fantastic weeks riding in '08….the magic carpet ride is an awesome day in the saddle!!

Wandered down the path to Bourg St Maurice for a couple of scoops one afternoon and found some nice cafes/bars but on the whole spent most of my drinking time crashed out on the lawn, in the hammock or chilling in front of a DVD.

I want to go back NOW!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a good first MTB holiday in France or Spain?’ is closed to new replies.