Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a decent compressor £100 – £150 for my garage?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

As above really. Will be used for pumping up car tyres, seating tubeless bike tyres and all manor of air blowing/nail gun fun.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I picked one up for about that from Lidless or Aldi.

Works okay but the hose connectors leak so whenever you want to use it you have to wait for if to fill.

Also the adapters are European standard so UK tools don’t fit

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Works okay but the hose connectors leak so whenever you want to use it you have to wait for if to fill.”

You know npt fittings need ptfe tape right . Shouldnt leak if assembled correctly. How ever the compressors from aldi and lidl are just rebadged wolf and are pish. Super noisy and under heavy/ constant use like to melt heads as they are not cast.

Id look for a 2.5 hp motor 24l decent quality compressor rather than cheap.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I bought a Stanley one from Screwfix that was £100 which seems to be pretty good. Came with various tools too.

RustyMac

I got one of these from costco, and it seems to work fine. Costco don’t advertise them any more but i think i paid about the price on the website for it anyway.

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-airmate-hurricane-v245-80-oil-free-direct-drive-compressor-8cfm.html

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My posting was a warning, not a recommendation for all the reasons you say.

PTFE tape on loose push fit connectors slows the leaks but doesn’t fix them. Also not enough power / capacity for much more that pumping tyres and blowing dust around the garage when you pretend to clean up

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats the hose/regulator ID causing the lack of power WCA.

the aldi regulator has a 6mm flow path ID. which is a bit of a joke.

i have just tapped direct into the 1/2 inch thread on the end of the reciever with my own large ID regulator and had much better results – of course that means the length of time you can use your tools is much reduced.

i have a 100 litre and a 24 litre set up in tandem like this – i have them in a different shed to the garage as the noise would be unbearable.

I run air guns/spot blaster/DA sander, air grinders and have sprayed my whole land rover with that set up.

Rusty macs unit is nice and compact and fairly useful in respect to running air tools – would be ideal starter unit for any workshop with an air requirement. – although overkill for just inflating tubeless tires 😉

bamboo
    Free Member

t_r – you seem to know what you are on about with these things; can you recommend where I can get an airline pipe which I can mount to the wall behind my bench and plug air tools into? I can envisage what I want, it is just where/what to search for.

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have 2 regulators on bolted to the back of my bench with toolstation rubber hose coming in from the outer regions of my garden sheds into the garage.

One is a water trap + reg the others a water trap + oiler and reg.

Put quick connects on both and just plug the relevent hose into the one i need for the tool im working with.

Have put up a retractable 8mm air reel for when im just working generally -inflating tires/blowing stuff with air or even spraying.

but when im using the bigger draw tools i have a 10mm hose which lets the tools work better

if i remember tonight ill grab photos of what i have set up.

bamboo
    Free Member

Nice one

marcus7
    Free Member

machine mart and toolstation do plastic airline pipe and push fit connectors etc, I’ve used similar and if you don’t want leaks (which is the enemy of compressed air)its probably the best for home use. You can get glue fit airline but its a bit expensive for home use and i’d definitely avoid galv unless you are good with a pipe threader! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

hardlining = too much work **** that. Although it does allow you to put drops in to get the water out without a trap.

I jsut stuck traps in.

one thing – remember to drain your tank often – i store mine where i keep logs so im in often enough to drain out the water.

bamboo
    Free Member

Is it possible to just use copper pipe, solder on some t fittings, and then attach some speed fittings? I’ve got the tools to do all that, I would just need to find the appropriate fittings. All I’m looking for is a ‘rail’ of compressed air with a few outlets that I can plug my compressor into

trail_rat
    Free Member

copper is fine – sounds pricy though.

you still want to have filters in the system.

freeagent
    Free Member

Machine Mart is generally a one-stop shop for everything to do with compressors.
    Not always the cheapest or best quality, but saves shopping around.

tone46
    Free Member

I got this…

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-bandit-iv-8-litre-air-compressor-with-a

Not too noisy, reliable, can pick the compressor up and carry around with one hand. I don’t regret not going the S/H fleabay route. Guns never jammed once.
    Get about 20 plus staples fired before a recharge which takes about a minute.
    Depends how quick etc your nailing really.

T666DOM

I’ve got a 25l SIP one like Rusty Mac, does the job of quickly seating tyres, told my wife I just had to buy a nail gun, nothing yet needs nailing but I’m still looking!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Left is water trap and reg , right is water trap oiler and reg. both go back into a t piece and back out to the shed where the compressors live where the compressors are t’d together. With fused spurs from the garage out to the shed so i can turn the compressors on and off individually without going out to the shed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a decent compressor £100 – £150 for my garage?’ is closed to new replies.