Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Can anyone offer me some owner experience of a whyte g150
  • chris74c
    Free Member

Hello just after some owner feedback on a whyte g150 please.
    If I’m honest I can’t decide between the t130 and g150.
    I demo’d a stumpjumper 650b a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it but something just wasn’t right. That bike is obviously very similar to the g150 in terms of travel etc, sat on both the whyte bikes and it’s a case of is one not enough or the other too much. Is the g150 a pig when it come to climbs or equally is the t130 lacking on decents. Also I didn’t realise how much I enjoyed getting air until I demo’d the stumpjumper.
    Any owner feedback would be much appreciated.

mike3342
    Free Member

I have a 2014 G150 since November 2013. in that time i have put a lot of mile son it in mixed conditions. Mainly pennines around rivington, darwen, and over to th east lancs area. Have done a bit of trail centre on it gisburn and llandegla but to be honest dont ride at trail centres a lot as dont like them. have also done a couple of lakes rides the biggest of which was th etorver, walna scar loop.

i am 50 105kg and 6 foot 3 so not the easiest lump to drag up a hill on any bikebut any issues with climbing are down to my fitness and not the bikes weight. i ride a large and with the standard stem it felt too long so i now have a 35mm on it at it feels right. only other thing i changed was the brakes, nothing wrong with the avids, i know flame me but i never had problems. I put hope tech3 e4 on it just because i wanted to no other reason.

come down faster than i go up obvously but am no really fast gravity pilot but do like to get off the ground. suspension woks really well after a bit of fiddling and only mechanical items i have changed are bottom bracket, it is on its second standard gxp, chain, one new one,brake pads and tyres.

its lots of fun, easy on mechanical stuff with no dramas. and does everything i want to. has made me ride a lot better as much more confident on it. Maybe some points could be better but show me a perfect bike out of the box if you can. at the time of purchase it was a great spec at a good price and this has shown in the fact upgrades have been own coice and very few and the only other thing i have spent are consumables. do most of my own maintenance and clean it most rides but some times it sits in its crap covered state for two rides and no problems. May upset a few haters but i have never had any issues with the SRAM gear that it came with.

never ridden a T130 but wouldnt want to swap anyway. did ride a T129 a friend had once and didnt like it

thats my tuppence worth hope it helps off to rivvi now

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I couldn’t compare to a T130, as I’ve only had a bounce around in the car park on one, but the G150 is a very capable bike. Quite happy on a simple trail centre run through to a DH track. Best bet would be demo rides really.

soundninjauk

I’ve had a 2015 G150 since last October, and I think it’s pretty ace. I was waiting for a Rocket for quite some while and eventually got bored and asked the LBS to recommend me an equivalent that I might actually be able to buy. So far I haven’t managed to get it up to the Lakes yet, but I’ve put some miles in (Swinley Forest especially).

As per mike3342 I immediately took the brakes off and swapped them for Hope Tech X2 Evos I had on the old bike for no reason other than I like Hope stuff. I’m think I’m going to up the callipers to e4s in a few months.

It is a very capable bike. The best thing I can think to liken it to is a really good dance partner. If you just sit and ride it then it’ll be absolutely fine and do nothing unexpected. But if you really start to put a bit of effort in and apply your inner gnar then it’ll be right there with you. Massively confidence inspiring, and a very fast bike down hill. Less so uphill but then nothing that a bit of Rule 5 can’t help with.

I didn’t try the T130, from reading on here it’s perhaps a bit more ‘playful’. It’s not like the G150 doesn’t encourage giving it some (as it were), but I get the impression it’s a bit more planted and should you so wish, you can just barrel on through stuff.

Where are you based? I know the Bike Hub at Swinley Forest has them to rent.

chris74c
    Free Member

I’m near matlock Derbyshire, do a lot of riding in the peaks, cannock chase and sherwood pines. Going to coed y brenin in June so I do a bit of everything really. I’ve got a 29er at the moment but since trying a 650b I had forgotten how nimble smaller wheels are, didn’t carry as much speed but the turning, drifting, jumping and all that, just came off the trail buzzing. G150 sounds good too me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone offer me some owner experience of a whyte g150’ is closed to new replies.