Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • can anyone list van (campervan) sizes for me?!
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

looking at a campervan, but just wondering how all the different van sizes compare!

Anyone able to give me a basic idea of the common campervan base van sizes in order?

VW transporter would be smallest we’d look at, but just wondering how it compares to transits, vitos, vivaros, traffics etc. Needs to be an everyday vehicle as well so i think the big LWB sprinters might be too big.

thanks!

perchypanther
    Free Member

In ascending order of size…..

Serial Killer
    Hippy
    Surfer
    Works van with a mattress and a bike.
    Retiree (single)
    Retiree (married)
    Hired for 2 weeks
    Fat Yank.
    Circus Owner

giantalkali
    Free Member

Knowing that of the top of your head’s a bit aspie even for here

codybrennan
    Free Member

The van manufacturers website will give you accurate dimensions I expect.

lakesrider
    Free Member

doesnt have to be exat, just a rough one, i have no idea of vans at moment, and not sure which ones are similar in size of much bigger / smaller

nickjb
    Free Member

Each van will have variants LWB, SWB, high top, etc. Add to that pop tops and custom roofs. Also different layouts makes better use of space plus your own personal needs. I don’t think you can just produce a list (other than percy’s)

wwaswas

Buy one of the motorhome magazines that includes a guide. They list all the different layouts each van has plus their dimensions and weights.

perchypanther
    Free Member

In ascending order of size……

Too big for a car wash
    Too big for a parking space.
    Too big for your garage
    Too big for your driveway
    Too big for a single track road
    Too big for the campsite
    Too big for the motorway

perchypanther
    Free Member

In ascending order of size……

Not enough room to make a cup of tea
    Not enough room to sit and read the paper
    Not enough room to lie down
    Not enough room to stand up
    Not enough room to eat your dinner
    Not enough room to stay overnight
    Not enough room for a weekend
    Not enough room for a week
    Fat Yank
    Circus owner

thecaptain
    Free Member

My LWB vivaro is just right, fits in garage but takes a tandem (or copious quantities of furniture/garden waste as appropriate).

Marin
    Free Member

Too expensive.
    Not a Ford Mondeo.
    I’ve got a caravan.
    I’ve got a pop up tent.
    I’m too fat and preachy.
    My choice is best.

Other sizes are available. Ask perchy.

perchypanther
    Free Member

In ascending order of size…..

Drive to the shops in campervan
    Walk to the shops
    Bike to the shops
    Moped to the shops
    Drive to the shops in the car that gets towed behind.
    Then this….

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

2 of you + bikes = Short or Med WB Master/Ducato
    2+ weans + bikes = LWB Master or Ducato

I bought a LWB Master (Nissan NV400) last year and have been slowly converting it – Reasoning was A – I can stand up in it, B it has a fixed bed C can take all 4 bikes + luggage

Spent 12 days touring NE Scotland 2 adults 2 teenagers and 4 bikes. All was good – and no-one was more surprised at that than me. Whilst it is not the only vehicle in the household I could live with it if it was.

Moses

For guidance, a LWB Ducato is 6m long, 1m longer than a big Jag or BMW.
    You could live in one if the layout is good.

My SWB Iveco Daily was only 5.3, I think, but the rear overhang meant that sideswiping lamposts when parking was a pain.

Kahurangi

For comparison a LWB T5 is 5.1 m long. That just fits within a normal parking bay. With bikes on the back* you’re longer.

*have to show them off, they’re not for riding.

IHN

A SWB T5 is 4.5m long, 1.9m high (standard height).

andylakes
    km79
    Free Member

VW transporter about the same size as a vito, both smaller than a transit custom, which in turn is smaller than a traffic and vivaro which are smaller than a transit.

Next time you are out driving look at them and you will see, plenty of each on the road.

spooky_b329

What do you want to fit inside?

4 travel seats, decent kitchen, toilet room, permanent double bed and garage is just doable in a MWB Iveco Daily, that’s 6m on the outside and 3.6m inside to the back of the front seats.

A shorter variant of the wide and square Ducato is probably the best compromise for an all round van

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

VW transporter about the same size as a vito, both smaller than a transit custom, which in turn is smaller than a traffic and vivaro which are smaller than a transit.

I’m pretty sure the Transporter is bigger than a Vito and a Custom. After Transit it’s Sprinter/Crafter then Ducato/Boxer/Relay.

My list is based on width.

km79
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the Transporter is bigger than a Vito and a Custom.

Maybe, but it depends how far away you are when guessing.

ElShalimo

As above but in general:
    width
    2m most are the same

Length
    4.8m older SWB panel vans
    5.2m older LWB panel vans
    5.7m Older Transit LWB

Current vans in general are:
    5.0m SWB panel van e.g. Trafic, Transit Custom
    5.4m LWB small panel van

5.0m SWB Ducato
    5.4m MWB Ducato/Transit
    6.0m new LWB Ducato/Transit
    6.3-6.4m XLWB Ducato
    7.0m XLWB Sprinter/Crafter

Height:
    Std roof ~2m
    Med roof ~2.4m
    Hi roof ~2.7m
    this varies per van but loosely true

After these it’s no longer a standard panel van conversion

bob_summers

My SWB T5 goes in underground car parks with a 1.8m limit. Admittedly gets a bit squeaky bum at times. There’s one in Bordeaux I use and the warning bar just grazes the roof and I wince all the time I’m in there, especially as there are some speed humps. Goes through the Automatique booths on the péage too, which can save a bit of time.

DickBarton

VW isn’t wide enough to have a 6′ person sleep widthways in the back…The Traffic/Ducato/variant thereof is. Having a bed widthways allows more room in the middle of the vehicle.

I suspect the plus side for the VW is it gives a wee bit more space to open doors in car parks!

lakesrider
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I did think for a minute it was going to turn into one of those threads after the first few replies but some good info in the end!

Will be two adults and two young kids, 5 and 2, but for longer stays anywhere we’ll use a driveaway awning thing. Not bothered about a washroom, will be using sites for longer stays and got a little fiamma portable toilet with our current camping stuff for kids emergency night time use

wilburt
    Free Member

I have watched more campervan youtube videos than anyone else in the world (but no actual experience) and can tell you that 6 metres is the optimal length.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘can anyone list van (campervan) sizes for me?!’ is closed to new replies.