Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Can anyone help tell me if my bike is too big?
  • spooked
    Free Member

Sorry about this post.

I built a secondhand road bike up out of bits and bobs all cheap as we now have a little one and I wanted to maximise my time on a bike.

Only trouble is I have been getting phenomenal neck pain and also numb feet at about the 15 mile mark.

Apologies for the pic

I can’t really afford to do one of those bike fits and I don’t know much about what is or isn’t the right posture on a road bike.

Any suggestions or do I just need to get used to it?

Thanks for any help. It’s so far proved to be a pain in the neck.

tonykay41
    Free Member

Try a shorter stem you look a bit stretched!! Also bar positions twist them forward and adjust your cleats.frame does look a bit big but trial and error really

spooked
    Free Member

Cool thanks Tony. I just put a 50mm on there and it’s not made much difference to be honest. I’m 6ft and mostly legs.

Ah well.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can you bring the saddle up and forwards?

choppersquad
    Free Member

How the bloody hell did you get your phone to take a photo of you with the timer?
    That must have taken a few goes?

akira

Competitive cyclist website has a pretty basic plug some numbers in and get some measurements bike fit thing. Probably more useful than people squinting at a picture.

tonykay41
    Free Member

Try the cleat adjustment that was my problem when I first got a road bike

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve seen worse…

foot pain? – no idea.

neck pain? – take the peak off your helmet.

IanW
    Free Member

Looks ok, perhaps your backsides a little too far back but that could just be the pic.

Check your cleat position and ride more.

spooked
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. I put an inline on it and the saddle is about mid way. I’ve mucked about with my cleats too.

Think I have stuffed up and bought a frame that’s too big 🙁

tinribz
    Free Member

Looks OK to me too, I get neck pain on the road bike if I’ve been riding the MTB too much and forget to remember your meant to stare the front wheel not the scenery.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What size is the frame? Because it doesn’t look too big in that picture.

spooked
    Free Member

It’s a 58cm. I’m just under 6ft but have fairly long legs. I always feel like I can’t ride on the hoods and need to be further back on the handlebars.

tonykay41
    Free Member

I’d say to big then I’m 5’10 and ride a 54cm

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I don’t think its too big. Just a different posture to riding mtb and youre not used to it. I do think your arms are too straight and not relaxed.You could try a slight rise stem and maybe a pair of pairs with less reach to the shifters. You could try and just turn the bars up a bit, ride around the estate and see if that makes a bit of difference. Wont cost anything, but will give you insight as to how it may feel. Not everyone who rides a road bike is a heads down flat out rider. You could just have your arms too stretched and creaking your neck up.
    Foot pain, well I am shoes number 4. I found that the shoes don’t need to be done up tight and narrow soles can crush your feet as well.
    Frame sizing, I have a Cube on 58 cm normal frame and a Dolan 54 cm on compact and am 5ft 10

MrSmith
    Free Member

It doesn’t look too big to me, you already look better than most MTB nodders do on road bikes,
    50mm?!? It’s a road bike, put a 100-130 on it and it will handle properly, ride some more and get more flexible, you actually look like you are in the tops position as you are quite upright but are on the hoods.
    As for the neck pain, I have been off the bike for 6 months and expect a bit of neck and shoulder pain until I get back into it, your core will get stronger and start to support you not your arms shoulders.

Ignore the anecdotal “I’m x ft and ride an xxcm” sizing advice as it’s meaningless. People have different leg/torso/lengths/proportions and bikes are sized differently, plus head tube heights/stem spacers/stems alter cockpit length.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and ride a 58cm and there is plenty seat post showing. You need to remember that it’s a totally different position on a road bike and it can take a bit of getting used to. You look like you’re absolutely shitting yourself in that picture by the way – that might be something to do with the twitchy steering from the 50mm stem though. try a 70 or a 90 at +5 or 10 degrees.

TiRed

Check saddle position, with kneecap over pedal spindle as a rough guide. I think you are reaching too far forward on the hoods, which is giving you the neck pain. So yes, I’d say you need the next size down if the stem is shorter than 80mm.

If you lean forward on the hoods, then your elbow angle should be about 100 degrees.

tonykay41
    Free Member

It wasn’t advice it was a comment my advice was above

convert

Look pretty reasonable.

Get a longer stem back on there. 90mm absolute minimum. Work on flexibility. Road bikes require a slightly more rotated pelvis ( unless you want to look like an mtber sat like a sack of spuds on a too small a bike). Work your distances up gradually as you adapt to the position.

Feet – probably cleats- shame you didn’t get a photo with feet at 12&6 O clock. You heel below your forefoot in that photo indicates that your saddle is probably too low but better to check on a 12/6 photo.

jamiep
    Free Member

As I was when I went to the dark side recently, your position looks like a mountain biker riding a road bike. Rotate your hips. Bend elbows. Put the saddle up and forward, then tweak the position further from there

JoeG
    Free Member
    spooked
    Free Member

Really really appreciate all the help. I’m going to try a 25 miler tomorrow with the changes and see how it goes. I have put the longer stem back on.

I agree that my core is rubbish. I’m guessing I need to rotate my pelvis more forward to lower my body which will give me the bend in the arms. Just wondering how that would impacts vision up the road? Is it more likely to give more tension to my neck?

Hard work this road bike malarkey.

Oh and shitting it. Yes. I was defying gravity there by staying upright on those skiny wheels…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

How did the 25 miler go?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help tell me if my bike is too big?’ is closed to new replies.