Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can anyone help me understand tubeless?
  • birnie
    Free Member

Hi,
    I am just waiting on getting my new bike. I promised myself I would set this one up tubeless, problem is I have no idea what I’m doing. It comes with E13 trsr wheels which have the tubeless tape installed and maxxis high roller 2 exo maxxpro. Can I run this setup tubeless or do I need tubeless ready tyres also? Help much needed 😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

Badger to the forum please

Northwind

You’ll probably be fine with those tyres. Most tyres work well tubeless, TLR and UST are mostly about taking away the doubt. Sometimes they inflate more easily, sometimes not so much. Generally I have about 50/50 tubeless and nontubeless tuyres on the go, and the tubeless ones are basically tubeless by coincidence- they’re tyres I like that happen to be TLR.

There’s basically 2 separate parts to it… Inflation, and sealing. Some tyres are hard to inflate but fine once they’re on, some inflate easily but don’t stay on rims well enough. Low quality tyres are more likely to have problems with size. And then there’s sealing- just how airtight they are, because obviously a nontubeless tyre doesn’t have to be airtight.

Maxxis usually work pretty well, they have quality beads, they’re pretty well made and quality controll’d so they fit and inflate better than most, and they have a lot of rubber in them so they tend to seal up easily.

I like tubeless, but it’s only fair to say, sometimes it’s a godawful pain in the cock. The main plus point is, it’s a pain in the cock, in the garage, at a time of your choosing- whereas tubes usually become a pain in the cock halfway down a race stage, or when it’s pouring with rain, or when your mate’s just finished fixing a puncture. That’s worth a bit of added hassle imo!

birnie
    Free Member

Excellent advice. Thank you. Makes sense now

nickdavies

You’ll be fine, those tyres will go tubeless easily, you should have 2 tubeless valves and valve core remover in with the bike, install those & buy a joe blow mountain track pump, a big bottle of no tubes fluid and a 60ml mini bottle or a syringe.
    Wipe a bit of watered down fairy liquid around both beads, seat tyre, pump furiously until it pops a few times and takes shape. Remove the valve core and fill with about 120ml (2 mini bottles of sealant) fluid, replace core, reinflate, go ride.

Sometimes it can be easier to remove the valve core before first inflation and use the Schraeder end of the pump to seat the beads.

phiiiiil

The main plus point is, it’s a pain in the cock, in the garage, at a time of your choosing- whereas tubes usually become a pain in the cock halfway down a race stage, or when it’s pouring with rain, or when your mate’s just finished fixing a puncture.

That’s an excellent way of putting it! I was trying to explain the idea to someone at work the other day but I think I may have put them off by making it sound like a lot of work compared to just a few minutes putting a tube in. It can be an afternoon of swearing and sweating, but I’ve not had a puncture or other tyre issue on the trail for ages…

What made the difference for me was a lemonade bottle inflator… it’s a piece of cake now.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They’re Maxxis, they’re very reliable tubeless. The TR version is just a stamp of approval for tubeless. UST is another matter, more compatibility with UST rims and a guarantee of holding up without sealant, but it makes it heavy and if you get a puncture you need sealant anyway, so may as well go with regular or TR tyres.

jakehinton
    Free Member

If going for maxxis tyres i would go for the tr versions. I recently had a high roller (non tr) blow off my back wheel. Replaced it with a tr dhr2 and it was a lot easier to blow it up once the tyre was seated and the bead feels a lot more secure!

timmys

reinflate, go ride.

Don’t leave a gap between these two parts. Riding immediately is the best way to distribute the sealant.

beaker

I tried tubeless for the first time this week. Stans Crest rims with Schwalbe tires. Once I’d replaced the green Hope tape with yellow Stans tape it went pretty well. The only thing is it one of the tires leaks air in the sidewall? A quick shake of the tire seems to seal it. I have yet to get a ride in but I’ll be taking a spare tube with me…..

qwerty
    Free Member

I found this video helpful:

plus http://www.notubes.com/help/tirepressure.aspx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help me understand tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.