Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • can anyone help me design a bike workshop
  • turneround

Having the garage converted into granny flat with workshop area. I’ve got 4 x 3m internal space to play with. The space at the front has an opening of 2 x 2.2 (insulated side hinged doors for bike / motorbike access) and a 1000×500 mm window on one wall. I’ve got the opportunity to have a bespoke bike workshop for wheel building, kit and bike storage (4 bikes) but i am crap at any sort of design thing. Can anyone help, beer tokens on offer 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fridge.
    Kettle.

br
    Free Member

First – power, light, heat.
    Second – bench, storage, working area

Try using it first – workstand and a cheap table etc. And then you’ll quickly work out the best way for you.

My old place, less designed – more just happened.

As you can see, hard to balance storage and workspace when you’ve very limited space.

bencooper
    Free Member

Vice 1/3 along the bench ideally, nothing on the bench closer than a wheel radius to the vice. Truing jig in good light.

Duffer
    Free Member

4 x 3 isn’t a huge amount of space, especially with four bikes in there, as they take up much more room than you’d think. I’d say the priority (after power, light, radio 4 and brew kit) should be getting the bikes out of the way. Perhaps hang them from the ceiling if it’s high enough…

Rorschach
    Free Member

The jacuzzi is just out of sight

neilwheel
    Free Member

I prefer vertical bike storage, as in the photo above, for easy access. You can top’n’tail them so that the bars don’t clash.

Spare frames and wheels can be hung above head height if you have the space. If it’s a pitch roof, maybe board out for storage.

Shelves for kit and spare parts.

Work bench in front of window with tool storage underneath.

Folding workstand.

What about security. Anchor point for bikes. Bars on window and a solid door, maybe alarm system?

turneround

cheers,

Ive just dug out a cellar under the house so am going to use that for taking 2 of the less used bikes, the moots will be indoors so im actually now thing one bike in the space for the turbo.

regarding alarms, i live in the highlands and we dont have any crime up here 🙂 (i once left the garage door open overnight with 2 turners, a look and a de rosa on full view to all passing…doh!!)

turneround

b r …. whats the motorbike just in shot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘can anyone help me design a bike workshop’ is closed to new replies.