• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Rod.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can anyone help? – Islabike CNOC 16 stabilisers
  • Rod

It’s my daughter’s 4th birthday on Monday and she’s showing an interest in pedal bikes with stabilisers (she’s had a balance bike since she was 2 and shown zero interest in it, but the idea of pedalling around is more appealing to her – so I’ve had to accept that she needs stabilisers, princess bell, basket etc!)

So we’ve got her an Islabike CNOC 16, which arrived yesterday. Islabikes are out of stock of the CNOC 16 stabilisers until the middle of March so I bought some of the EZ suspension stabilisers (that are recommended by Frog bikes)….

The problem is that the Islabike have a hollow rear axle with allen bolts to secure the wheel in the drop outs – these are only about an inch long and the EZ stabilisers fit between the drop out and bolt (so that means only half of the bolt thread is going into the hub). I just phoned Islabike and they confirmed that these stabilisers shouldn’t be used…

So – does anyone have a set of CNOC 16 stabilisers that they would like to sell and could post quickly? It would make a 4 year old very happy if you did!

tonyd

I have some. They’ve only been used on the Cnoc 14 but I’m pretty sure they will fit the 16 OK. I can check later as we have one of each.

They’ve been used for a total of about 4 weeks (2 weeks per child) so not too battered. Give me half the new cost plus whatever it costs to post and I’ll get them off to you in the morning. I live in RG45 in case you’re able to collect instead.

Edit: Just read that back and it sounds harsh, what I meant was if half new cost seems fair of course!

globalti
    Free Member

The power of the internet…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rod

Tonyd – just phoned them back to check whether the CNOC 14 stabilisers would fit the 16 and unfortunately they said not… but thank you anyway for the offer (and it didn’t sound harsh at all 🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

Get some longer bolts?

Rod

I asked about using longer bolts but they said that it hadn’t been tested and there was a risk of shearing the bolt (the bolts aren’t as strong as a solid axle that you’d generally fit stabilisers to)…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

stabilisers are a good example of a bad design. If you want her to actually learn how to ride then stay away from them. Simple as that.

jonathan
    Free Member

I guess they’ll never advise you to do anything that hasn’t been tested, but it might be a solution. Depends on how big the bolts are and what your judgement of exactly how it all fits together is though.

therevokid
    Free Member

if she’s ok with a balance bike why do you need stabilisers ??

mine youngest went from a pedalless/stabilisrerless Hotrock to a Bienn 24
    small and loved it 🙂

Rod

she’s not OK with the balance bike unfortunately (she’s of the can’t do – won’t do persuasion…) and prefers her little sister’s scuttlebug (despite her knees being up near her ears!). so I’ve had to accept the tactic of getting her interested first by making it easy…

jonathan – the bolts are skinny enough for me to think twice and I’m not known for mechanical sympathy. but it might be a temporary solution (as I can’t see her putting much force through them!)

tonyd

just phoned them back to check whether the CNOC 14 stabilisers would fit the 16 and unfortunately they said not

Oh shame, makes sense though now I think about it.

If you want her to actually learn how to ride then stay away from them. Simple as that.

Stabilisers can serve a purpose IMO. My two had balance bikes from 2 years and could absolutely fly on them, however because they spent so much time on those they’d never actually pedalled much. A week or two of stabilisers got them into the habit of pedalling, especially on small hills. I made sure they rode balance bikes too so didn’t forget how to actually ride. Then off came the stabilisers before they got too used to them.

jonathan
    Free Member

Rod – yes, definitely not ideal but it might work. You’d have to watch out for anyone bigger having a go on it though 😉

Re stabilisers – as said they’ve got their place, be it just to get a child onto a bike (as for whatever unfathomable “child logic” they didn’t want to ride their balance bike!) or to get them used to pedalling. My two were early balance bike users and early pedallers, but the the transition to pedal bikes wouldn’t have been anywhere near as easy if they hadn’t had loads of opportunity to play on trikes and other pedally things at the nursery they went to.

aracer
    Free Member

A bit of out of the box thinking? Is the rear hollow axle a standard threaded one, and if so would it be possible to replace it with a longer solid axle?

Clearly the design has changed – our 16 has a traditional threaded solid axle. Actually if it would help at all I’d be happy to swap rear wheels with you temporarily if you’re local (I’m near Malvern) – or find somebody more local with an older 16 you could do a swap with?

cb

I think I have some – will check in the garage whether we bought the CNOC 14 or 16.

mrchrispy

if she can use a balance bike okay and the CNOC16 fits then just remove the pedals from the CNOC, odds on it taking a couple of goes before you can pop the pedals back on.

My lad was ace on a likeabike jumper but just couldnt ‘get’ the pedals on his CNOC, took a couple of goes without before he got it and then he was outta here!

cb

Rod – we have some for the 16. I’ll have to hunt them down in the garage but let me know first whether you want them. I can get them posted out today.

Rod

cb – you’re a star! will drop you a mail 🙂

Rod

(and yes – definitely want them)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help? – Islabike CNOC 16 stabilisers’ is closed to new replies.