Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can anyone explain wireless displays to me?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My work laptop apparently supports something called Intel WiDi. My Surface supports wireless displays via something it doesn’t explain well, but Microsoft make a wireless display adapter for it.

If I were to get Microsoft’s adapter, is it likely to work with the Intel protocol on my work laptop?

lovewookie

as far as I know, it’s the capability to directly cast to a wireless screen. or stream music over wifi without the likes of chromecast etc.

most new phones have this capability too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

WiDi is discontinued. Replaced by Miracast.

Your Surface supports Miracast natively. You need a dongle that you plug into your display (here) unless it also supports Miracast natively.

Your laptop might support it if it’s Windows 10. (Edit, looks like if you’re running 8.1 or 10 you’ll have it, you just need the dongle on the display or one that supports Miracast.)

Rubber_Buccaneer

In my limited experience it is one of those non standard standards like DLNA. You may get lucky and it works perfectly or you may not. If it does work you may experience a lag between audio and video that doesn’t matter for worky type stuff but makes watching video clips irritating. I haven’t tried it for a couple of years so maybe it all works perfectly now

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah so it’s Miracast. Thanks. My phone supports that too, apparently.

andyl
    Free Member

you can cast to an appropriate HDMI dongle in your telly. Just be careful you are not casting to any TVs by accident while watching grot 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I found some info now I know it’s Miracast. According to Tom the best adapter is the Microsoft one, and it’s almost lag-free to the point you don’t notice unless you’re playing a game.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone explain wireless displays to me?’ is closed to new replies.