Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Can anyone compare Bike Verbier with other holiday companies I've used?
  • sok

I’ve been out with AQR a couple of times and had a great time (hence the repeated visits).
    There’s some great single track and beautiful trails. Yes, you don’t regularly do uplifts (although each time I’ve been we’ve done an uplift day) but I’ve always found the climbs manageable and on great trails.
    If you want to take a big bike and thrash it down hill then it probably isn’t the thing to do, but if you’re after consistently good riding then it’s great.
    And +1 for Russ’ food. Worth it even if you leave your bike at home.

strewth
    Free Member

To be honest it really depends on the kind of riding you’re interested in. It’s difficult to compare holiday companies when they all offer a different experience.
    I haven’t used the other companies so I can’t comment on them, but I would certainly recommend AQR. I’ve been out to Luchon twice with them now, riding a 5 inch trail bike, which was perfect for their mix of tight switch backs, flowy singletrack and rocky technical descents – although you do have to earn them with a few climbs.
    Accommodation and food I couldn’t fault and there is alot to be said for a holiday company who make the effort to understand the riding styles and needs of riders rather than simply offering the same package to all visitors.

mprior
    Free Member

Chris

I went with BV a few years ago for 2 consecutive years and then I have been with AQR in Luchon on numerous occasions over recent years. Both experiences have been excellent, I don’t believe in making direct comparisons as if one holiday was the same as another life would be boring! The Alps and the Pyrenees are different mountains hence different trails, I reckon trails in Verbier are equally as challenging as trails in Luchon. True there is more uplift in Verbier although I prefer the challenge of a climb to earn a descent with AQR. Phil and Lucy in Bike Verbier were very welcoming and a good crack- great to ride with and very hospitable- cracking food. Likewise Ian and Kate at AQR although both couples are different and have different skills and attributes. Different places, different people = different but both great experiences. For me food is as important as riding good quality tasty food and plenty of it and I am happy!- you won’t be disappointed with VB or AQR on this front. I would say riding with AQR is more tailored to suit different abilities although don’t think Phil and Lucy would take you down something crazy if you were a novice! There is more opportunity for bike set up, maintenance and coaching with AQR if you want it, not to say that VB don’t offer some good advice also. Hope this helps.

ChrisL

Every time I read “BV” in someone’s post I initially translate it as “Bike Village” then have to stop myself and reparse it as “Bike Verbier”. 🙂

Thanks for the continued advice. Really, comments like:

I reckon trails in Verbier are equally as challenging as trails in Luchon. True there is more uplift in Verbier although I prefer the challenge of a climb to earn a descent with AQR.

Are at the core of what I’ve been after. I’ve been to AQR (really, it was in the OP, I don’t need recommendations about it 😉 ) and I know how I reacted to the difficulty level of the trails and the riding there, so the above helps me judge whether I’d do OK at Bike Verbier.

I […] don’t think Phil and Lucy would take you down something crazy if you were a novice!

Not a novice, just not always very good! Plus with an annoying ability to get properly dispirited if I’m worn out and I start encountering too many bits that are just a bit too hard for my confidence/ability.

Northwind

sok – Member

Yes, you don’t regularly do uplifts (although each time I’ve been we’ve done an uplift day) but I’ve always found the climbs manageable and on great trails.

The uplift requirement’s more down to me I think- it’s not that I can’t or won’t climb, our week in AQR was fine. It’s just about time- a morning spent climbing is a morning not spent bombing downwards. If I can only spend a week in the alps I want to make the most of the uplifts since there’s so few chances to do that back home.

And yep, Russ’s cooking was a treat- but got to say I was just as impressed with James at White Room (and James provided more cake!)

ChrisL

The ~50% uplifts provided on Bike Village’s “mellow” rides suited me fine, really. A bit of climbing is OK but the consistent 1,000m+ climbing per day I experienced on earlier Bike Village trips or at AQR was a bit more than I am after, I think. Especially when the temperature is in the mid twenties or above.

All of the catered MTB holidays I have been on have provided excellent food. Bike Village, AQR and the White Room have all provided memorable meals. Bike Village possibly wins on heartiness (tartiflette, hmm) and quantity, White Room and Bike Village are equal first for cakes, White Room and AQR produced food that could easily be served up in restaurants. Bike Village is the only one of the three that included porridge in its breakfast option, though. 🙂

davidisaacs
    Free Member

One reason we, http://www.bikingandalucia.com are so much cheaper is because we do not do evening meals, clients can eat out in the many nearby inexpensive bars and cafes in our town Orgiva, or self cater. Opinions of trails and scenery is often subjective, though here in Andalucia we have the best weather in Europe (320+ days of sunshine per year), and it is possible to do 3km verical descent, ie from 3400 metres altitude (Pico Veleta)back to 400 metres altitude at Orgiva (ie from areas of snow to banana plantations).

Trekster

3400 metres altitude (Pico Veleta)back to 400 metres altitude at Orgiva

Seriously good, grin inducing day out 😆

matthias87
    Free Member

Here’s an edit from our trip to Verbier this summer. It was epic and Bike Verbier is as good as everyone says.

http://m.pinkbike.com/video/335210/

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone compare Bike Verbier with other holiday companies I've used?’ is closed to new replies.