Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can anybody recommend some decent trousers to commute in?
  • iamtheresurrection

It’s only 7 miles to work, and I need something less committed than Lycra to cycle in. I collect the boys from school on the way home, and don’t want to scare the other children/parents or embarrass my kids pitching up in tights in the winter. On the odd night I don’t get the kids, I’d like to able to sneak a pint in too 🙂

Can anybody recommend some decent casual, but technical trousers to cycle in? Not bothered about budget, but don’t want over skinny hipster fit. Mainly cause I’m not really skinny…

Thanks

Daffy

Rapha softshell trousers are about the comfiest piece of clothing I own. They look like a better cut work trouser and perform superbly on the bike.

Similarly, Rapha Jeans are fabulous, but if you don’t want the skinny look, maybe try the sprinters version?

iamtheresurrection

Cheers Daffy, I’ll look at them. Have they been through the washing machine much yet, meaning, are they washing well?

EDIT: Looks like they no longer make them…

iamtheresurrection

Have you tried anything from Swrve?

trousers

CraigW
    Free Member

M&S have cycling chinos reduced to £11. Don’t know if they are any good. http://www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-rich-active-waistband-tapered-leg-utility-chinos-with-stormwear/p/p22276661?OmnitureRedirect=cycling+chino

Or Swrve trousers are nice, but not cheap. They have various softshell fabrics. http://swrve.co.uk/softshell%20trouser.html

iamtheresurrection

Cheers Craig. Those M&S trousers are worth a bash as a trouser for Autumn, although not sure how much abuse a non-re-enforced gusset will take. Not that it matters for a tenner!

Just read a couple of decent reviews on the swerve for £110, I might give them a bash too.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’d have no problem picking up the kids/going for a pint in lycra. I mean, who cares what anyone else would think? There are loads of cycling dads at my son’s school; no-one would bat an eyelid.

However: given your stated preference for non-lycra, you could check out Vulpine. I think their stuff is smart as hell.

danti

Ronhill Bikester – last ages and nothing like Rapha £.

Yes they are slightly fitted but not Lycra tight.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Endura Zyme trousers fit the bill for me, not too expensive either. Regularly wear them off the bike and no-one ever notices they are bike clothing.

I tend to avoid most Endura stuff as it wears out pretty quickly, but not these.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

My mate is a courier and has been hammering a pair of these for a few years now in every condition.

http://mangayio.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,24&prod=428

iamtheresurrection

Honestly hebdoncyclist, I’ve been wearing Lycra for 25 years on the bike and I still feel like a tit in it when I’m off it, especially when clacking around in road shoes. I’m fancying something all together more casual with touring shoes. Maybe I’m just becoming that age.

My six year old really doesn’t want to have the conversation with his mates why his dad wears tights either 😉 I’ll have a look at Vulpine, haven’t come across them before. Thanks.

Cheers kkf and otb too, I’ll have a look. Not quite old enough for Bikesters, Danti, but thanks 😉

riddoch

I like the blurb from those m&s trousers

Well-fitting chinos sharpen up even the most casual of looks. An elasticated waist allows for growth and promises extra comfort. Keep dry with our clever water repellent technology.

🙂

granny_ring

Cheers Craig, thought I’d try some of those M&S slacks too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

For the situation you describe I just use jeans or “work ware” trousers. If I use work trousers I buy ones without the built in tool belt so they are more like tough combat trousers. Just role up the leg while cycling to avoid rips!

riddoch

Just be wary if you do buy online it will cost you an extra £130 😯
    They have the Star Wars BB-8 droid toy in stock.

Travis

From the link above…

I’d rather stick with Lycra than wearing my pants on the outside 😯

diplomatt
    Free Member
    lee170
    Free Member

I used endura singletrack trousers for commuting and also winter rides on the mtb. Brilliant trousers, breathable, look normal enough to get away with off the bike.
    Think there around £40-50.
    I’ve had mine for 4 years now and there still going strong

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can anybody recommend some decent trousers to commute in?’ is closed to new replies.