Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can a wheel be knocked out of 'dish' when you crash?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Crashed relatively hard a while ago but everything seemed fine at the time bar the wheel being slightly twisted relative to the stem. However I’ve just put the same wheel from my Yellii screamy into the new singular swift while I wait for the new ones to arrive and it’s definitely dished more over to the brake side which is also the way it was twisted when I crashed. Can you knock the whole wheel off centre rather than just buckling it?

I presume its not the right way to do it if I just slightly tighten the spokes on the non disc side to pull it back across? Never fiddled with wheels before.

cynic-al
    Free Member

not possibe

Possible that either wheel was out of dish from new tho

Gotama
    Free Member

Whilst I’m not ruling that out it was built by a pretty well respected wheel builder who gets a fair few recommendations on here. Maybe I just didn’t notice it as it was sandwiched in between chunky forks whereas with the swifts delicate blades it’s obvious.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Damaged forks? Cones need adjusted?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m confused – what are you waiting for? Could the forks have been twisted?

Gotama
    Free Member

Hope pro 2 so no cones and the fork is a brand new swift one.

Al, waiting for? Eh?

Forks I crashed on could be twisted but not these ones.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Either (i) your forks are manufactured incorrectly (not inconceivable), (ii) the Hope 9mm/QR15 adaptors are not fitted equally, causing one side to be wider than the other, (iii) the wheel is out of dish from new, or (iv) you need your eyes and measuring tape tested.

The chances of you crashing and moving the rim left or right without pringling it or knocking it out of true are about 1 in a billion I reckon.

Personally unless it is hugely obvious when riding I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. Presumably the rim is straight and true.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, rim is straight and true, will check adapters.

shortcut

You stand more chance of winning lotto! Check the hub is seated in the drop out. Try another wheel & another fork, is it the wheel or the fork?? Are the qr caps in properly?

rootes1

flip the wheel round if it is dished the overway then it is the wheel..

if not then it is the fork

suffolk
    Free Member

^ as above – flip the wheel round (brake disc on wrong side) – if the rim stays ‘out’ to the same side it’s the fork; other way and it’s the wheel.

If it’s the fork, you can actually get away with putting a tiny bit of dish on the wheel to put the rim central without too much strength compromised, or just return the fork and hope for a better one. I have tried many different steel rigid forks and it is nice to get one that’s actually perfectly true in this regard. Shouldn’t be so hard to get such a simple item welded straight, but in my experience it’s the exception rather than the norm.

That said I currently run a spot-on set of the Swift forks on my Niner. They are very nice! Surprisingly supple and better proportions aesthetically than the Niner 853 ones I ran previously.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Also push down on the fork without the brake on. This can often show up any problems. If the function of the fork feels fine with the brake on (Like just about every Tom,Dick & Harry do when feeling a fork) you might find it feeling completely different without the brake applied,to the point where it might be binding.

singlespeedstu

If it’s a RS 29er fork there’s a chance it could be the fork that’s the problem.
    They had loads of Reba’s with the off center wheel problem.

Have a search on MTBR 29er components forum.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can a wheel be knocked out of 'dish' when you crash?’ is closed to new replies.