Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can a sim-less iPhone be used as an iPod?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just picked up a “new to us” car and it has iPod connectivity – via a very short lead in the glove compartment. So instead of using my phone as the iPod (as this will restrict me making and taking calls, posting on STW, Facebooking and texting on those boring motorway drives) 🙂 I’d rather just leave something in there with most of my music stored on it. I have a fairly bashed around 16GB iPhone 3GS which is worth £40 if I send it to mazuma mobile etc. and thought it might be ideal to use as music storage. Before I go charging it up, will there be any problems using this as an iPod? I assume it’s the same as using it in airplane mode, no?

thehustler
    Free Member

easy answer yes it can be used as an ipod……..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, long question. Short answer. 🙂

Thanks.

falkirk-mark

And if it doesn’t get a PAYG sim and lob it in

scott-b
    Free Member

Leave your old sim in it thoug. or it will keep asking you to insert one.

Militant_biker

I use an original iPhone as an iPod for the car. Yes, it complains it has no SIM, but only once per use, and it gets wifi from the the house to sync if it needs to. Works fine, have jailbroken it to run Spotify on the old iOS.

Was cheaper than replacing my iPod nano when it died.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wait a cotton picking minute….

You mean your new car doesn’t automatically sync with all the music on your hard drive at home?

Oh, the inhumanity!

Still, at least you’ll be able to see behind you in cold weather.

😉

Militant_biker

… my car has a tape deck…

nealglover
    Free Member

… my car has a tape deck…

Mine too.

It doesn’t work though. And the radio only works if I’m heading somewhere between West and North East.

It does have an Aux Input, but I’m holding out much hope for that to be honest 😀

Sandwich

Captain there’s a recession on! (Is this the fourth or fifth dip, the economy’s like Brian Jacks on Superstars) 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still, at least you’ll be able to see behind you in cold weather.

🙂

And a lot more…

CountZero

I use my old iPhone 4 as an iPod, but I put a 3 PAYG sim in it, and I use it with Shazam, so I can tag new songs on the radio and telly, then download them straight onto the phone, and I use it as my satnav in the car, with CoPilot Live.
    3 has unlimited data on the PAYG, so I don’t get hit for charges downloading over the network. It won’t allow tethering, though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can a sim-less iPhone be used as an iPod?’ is closed to new replies.