Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can a Shimano Xt Lever be replaced?
  • mactheknife

Had a tree / brake interface today, as a result the brake lever is pretty bent. Im more than happy to bend it back and hope for the best but i’m heading to Spain on holiday next week and would rather get it sorted properly.

Looking online all i can find is complete brake units. XT BR-M785 if it makes any difference.

ta 🙂

Pridds

Got a m780 brake lever that the diaphragm has gone on. It’s a left hand side and £15 posted

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    euain

Petra Cycles are good for random shimano bits.. like this or similar for the other side..

bigyinn
    Free Member

I successfully straightened an m775 lever about 3 years ago. Managed to strip the lever off the rest of the gubbins and carefully bent it back using a vice and adjustable spanner.
    It’s been fine since.

mactheknife

Thanks all, Pridds, its a right hand lever, not sure if they are reversible though.

Im gonna give it a bit of vice and molegrip action and see how i get on.

Whats the worst that can happen?? 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

same problem on an XTR – i have a replacement lever blade

however how do you remove part no5 – lever axle?

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/BL/EV-BL-M785-3158A_v1_m56577569830796605.pdf

j40aja
    Free Member

however how do you remove part no5 – lever axle?

Looking at the diagram you need to remove parts 8 which are a cap and axle lever bolt.

robarnold
    Free Member

I’ll be intrigued how you get the lever blade out, I’ve bent two and ended up having to buy new master cylinder assemblies on both occasions. Please enlighten us if you manage it

coatesy
    Free Member

There’s a small grub screw that needs to be loosened (it’s hidden by a little cap), tucked in behind the blade, before the pivot pin can be pushed out. Not sure what6 the difference between left and right blades is, but they have different part numbers.

Mister-P
    Free Member

They are slightly different because of the little spring. If you flipped a lever to the opposite side then the spring wouldn’t be in the right place.

I have swapped a few blades when folk have broken them. I find putting the blade into the body, sticking a hex wrench down through the holes then pushing the pin back up is the easiest way. Without the hex holding all the bits in place the spring tends to escape.

robarnold
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Wish I’d have known that a few months ago when I snapped a bar clamp on one lever/master cylinder assembly, replaced the whole lot, then the next ride out, hit exactly the same tree and bent a lever blade!

Just in the process of swapping all the good bits on to one assembly and will then pop on to the forum to sell. The consensus at the time on here was that it was that the blade wasn’t replaceable 😥

robarnold
    Free Member

As new XT master cylinder and lever assembly in silver now for sale on classifieds if anyone is interested

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/xt-m785-master-cylinder-lever-set-up-silver-as-new-24

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can a Shimano Xt Lever be replaced?’ is closed to new replies.