Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Can a racey cross country bike be fun?
  • richP

Loving my Pivot-LES

Bought it as a team race bike this year with the intention of running it alongside my Anthem X29 (also a enjoyable bike) but I’ve enjoyed riding the Pivot so much that the Anthem has remained in an un-built state in the shed since I took some bits off when I initially built up the Pivot…

Handles everything that I have thrown at it; short course XC, endurance/marathon type events and just messing about in the woods.

Additionally, enjoying riding it has encouraged me to ride/train more which has been on of the factors in my improving race results.

I also have a dropper fitted which I think adds to the funness.
    I think I’ve also read some reviews where they were running the frame with 120mm forks (I run 100mm).

In race mode:

https://www.facebook.com/PivotBoompodsRacing

Sui
    Free Member

I’ve decided no. Based on really wanting to buy an absolute bargain* of a Nicolai Helius AC, It didn’t feel right for my riding (ex Stiffee, Hustler, now GSpot rider). I always wanted a Nic, though the AM/FR type ones, but this AC came up and I thought winner, dreams answered… it just felt too twitchy, quite odd really and I felt sad 🙁

*XTR group, Talas forks, King wheelset and HS, Elixir brakes.. all well under 2K

Kryton57

Does no one else think hardtails are just a slow, uncomfortably plod in the winter mud?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sui
    Free Member

nope – hardtails are fun, and good at making you remember to pick lines as opposed to clatter through everything. I want another stiffee..

roverpig

The winter comment is interesting. I guess I did find my FF29 fun back in the summer when the trails were dry, it was shod with Racing Ralph rubber and I was attacking every climb. I’ve tended to assume that it was the arrival of the Five that made the FF29 feel boring, but maybe it was winter.

IA

hardtails are just a slow, uncomfortably plod i

Nope, but some riders are slow and plod along in the mud? 😉

I’ve a slack enduro gnarpoon, and a twitchy light XC race bike (29er, spanky wheels, sids, flat bars and bar ends. Tho the bars are wide and there’s a dropper on there now).

Both are fun, so long as you’re riding it like you stole it.

I ride the HT more in the winter (with the gears off in SS guise). You can have a lot of fun caning a techy descent on a spanky light bike, on the edge of control, keeping up with/catching folk on big bikes.

The light bike, but wide bars + dropper is an interesting combo, it’s the mullet of bicycles really, business up front, party in the back.

roverpig

So, having accused my FF29 of not being fun I took it out for a night ride last night and had a blast on it. I’m even thinking of treating it to a shorter stem and some wider bars now. Make of that what you will. It’s all a mystery to me.

sefton
    Free Member

nice bike….leg hair is a disgrace though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does no one else think hardtails are just a slow, uncomfortably plod in the winter mud?

Interesting comment. After fast dry summer trails riding anything in winter mud can feel like a slow uncomfortable plod. Though I do feel HTs are a bit better than FS in the mud.

roverpig

I find that a 29er is fun as long as I can stay on top of it and keep the momentum up. Once I start to tire though I find them to be more of a slog than a 26″ bike. It could just be in my head, but I’ve found it to be the case with a few different 29ers.

That would fit with he summer/winter effect. On dry trails I can keep it spinning along, but once I get bogged down in the mud I find it harder to get going again.

DanW
    Free Member

Can a racey XC bike be fun?

Of course! What is not to like? 😀 Ditch the slack DH skill compensator and embrace the “more engaging” ride of a XC whippet 😀 You won’t have a dull moment on an XC orientated bike and the extra speed in 90% of situations is pretty addictive

njee20
    Free Member

Always got on with mine. Did have a ‘trail’ bike for a while a few years back, and it served a purpose, but I always find myself missing the pure speed. I have a set of DT240/Alpine wheels for my Top Fuel, but prefer how it rides with the Podiums, so always end up using those. They’re no worse for it.

nedrapier

Don’t know whether it counts, but I’ve got a twitchy whippety late 90s skinny steel number which was pretty light to start with and has just got lighter and steeper with a couple of light bits, rigid forks and removal shifters and all but 2 sprockets.

It’s flipping brilliant. Feels like a big BMX in twisty stuff, but springy enough to still be nice over long distances, feels better the more you push it – Same deal as the scott scale stories at the top of the page – and the same result!

andypaul99
    Free Member

richP, but isnt pivot your sponsor? If it wasnt your sponsor, would the Anthem be built up?

oliverracing

I love my racey xc bike in the summer, but the only real option for the winter mud and slop is a cyclocross bike! the narrow tyres and cut through the mud and add to the fun! also less moving parts, increased difficulty of riding it and mechanical simplicity of cantis is a bonus!

starrman82
    Free Member

Are there other bikes then?

richP

andypaul99 – Member

richP, but isnt pivot your sponsor? If it wasnt your sponsor, would the Anthem be built up?
    Posted 1 day ago # Report-Post

I think that you may be overestimating the level of sponsorship involved in the Pivot Boompod team… 🙂

I bought the frame at an incentivised price with the expectation that I would use it for races, but with no expectation to use it outside of this. (Gets ready to be corrected by team captain..)

I have acquired replacement components for the Anthem to replace all the stuff that was transferred to the Pivot when that was built up, just have not felt the need to (or got around to) building it up yet.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Can a racey cross country bike be fun?’ is closed to new replies.