Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • can a lot of blue smoke really be a bad thing? (saab 9-5 content)
  • iDave
    Free Member

lots of blue smoke being chucked out of my old'ish saab 9-5 2.3 . its not good is it? turbo issue maybe? its slightly embarassing driving it in public.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It'll be burning oil, and burning it for a reason. Needs checking I'd say

boobs

when does it blow out, hard acceleration, on the over run then accel etc. Not been overfilled has it?

iDave
    Free Member

no not over filled. tends to be on slowing down, shifting down, idling etc. Hard acceleration seems ok?

shooterman

Just had this happen to my 320d. Currently with the mechanic for a new turbo.

boobs

I would have thought that most slowing down symptoms would point to a valve stem seal problem although if the shaft on the turbo is worn you would get the same symptom. I think Mr Cheesyfeet it right and guessing isn't the way to go, sorry. Checking the play on the shaft isn't too hard. If the shaft is worn the the oil would be drawn straight into the turbo. Might be worth having the exhaust dropped to see how much oil is in the exhaust. It would appear to be reasonably common sadly.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Was just about to say sounds like a turbo going/gone.

You could mess about with a local mechanic or go to SAAB and get a diagnosis and a price. They usually give reduced rates for older cars and your local grease monkey is unlikely to have the computer/software to plug in and diagnose.

TS(SAAB owner)

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

worn turbo are a feature of older 95 – apprently

MartynS

sorry.. Turbos going.

Get it changed before it gives up and sends bits of itself through the system. Also get the garage to drop the sump and clean it out, and check the oil strainer. 2.0L engines of a certain vintage have issues with the oil sludgeing up and blocking the breather systems. This affects the oil going to the turbo, so it wears a lot quicker. If you don't get it done you'll kill the new turbo as well.
    I know yours is a 2.3 but I'd get it looked at!!

Oil changes every 6000miles/6 months with fully synth oil
    There was a retro fit thing for the oil breather system (PCV valve or something like that rings a bell) Might be worth checking up on that as well

try HERE for better advice

New turbo at an Indi will be about £600!

Hopefully its something easy to fix though

blastit
    Free Member

I thought that if the smoke comes out when slowing etc it was valve stem oil seals, but I may be wrong.

Raindog
    Free Member

2.3 engines suffer from strainer blockage too. I speak from personal experience.

iDave
    Free Member

ok, thanks for all the feedback, will cart it off to some automechanical technoengineer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘can a lot of blue smoke really be a bad thing? (saab 9-5 content)’ is closed to new replies.