Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can a frame be 'faster' ?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Or is it all subjective?

Bought a Mekk Potenza road bike in Sept last yr, broke it at the beginning of Feb this yr. Bought a Dolan l’etape frame and swapped everything over, the only part that is different is the seat pin & BB30 bottom bracket.
    The geometry is very similar, top tube 2.6mm longer, head tube 5mm shorter, seat tube angle 1/2 degree different etc. Weight is also very similar. Even have the same Conti Ultra Sport tyres on it.
    However, the Dolan ‘feels’ faster, it ‘feels’ like it accelerates quicker and generally feels more lively.
    Certainly, my times are up a little but that could be down to so many external factors – the winds have finally dropped for instance – that it could all be complete bollox!

So, can a frame be faster?

gears_suck
    Free Member

I guess so. At least marginally. If it responds more directly to your input then acceleration and handling could be influenced and ultimately would have a positive effect.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Positions can be, perhaps you have magically stumbled upon that position thats not only aero but efficient also…. Unlike most of the slammed stem brigade.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Feel faster? Yes
    Actually be measurably faster? Not really (aero effects not withstanding).
    Tbh the Mekks are horrible dead lumps of plastic 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My stem is ‘slammed’ certainly, but as my inside leg is only 27″ then the saddle is still barely higher than the bars!
    The Dolan is a much nicer frame that’s obvious, maybe its that I’m feeling?

gears_suck
    Free Member

It could certainly be only psychological, you said your times are slightly improved and I think often a new bike or component has a positive effect on attitude and consequently, performance.
    We’ve all had new bikes and found a little extra gas in the tank from the sheer thrill of getting out for the first time.

br
    Free Member

Of course it can, the same way it could have just as easy been slower.

charliedontsurf

Yes, they can be faster. A dead stiff frame seems to bog down and get rattled on rougher roads, where a quality frame with some designed in twang will shrug off the high frequency vibes, will carry speed better (micro levels of better) but will also leave you less beaten, so you can be faster for longer. Also consider weight savings will allow better acceleration.

I ride a ritchey logic steel road bike. It handles back roads very well.

Stiff bikes are great for power transfer and sprinting. But if you don’t pay your mortgage with race winnings… Why worry. The only sprint that counts if you don’t compete is the one against your mates to the pub. I would prefer a frame with more character and buzz handling qualities.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can a frame be 'faster' ?’ is closed to new replies.