Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Can a Cro-mo seat-tube be reamed by 0.1mm?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I have a Bontrager Privateer frame and am finding it difficult to get a decent 27.0 seatpost to fit. Is it possible and safe to ream it out to 27.2mm? It's only 0.1mm in total from the sides…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gonna be easier to find a decent seatpost unless it's been really poorly made.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member
    Deveron53
    Free Member

I'd actually like to use a retro or current Bontrager seatpost, hence my enquiry…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have seen a reamer in a shop (which employed me) though I suspect few will have them nor know how to use them to remove metal rather than clean out seat tubes.

AS for safety, ask KB or a framebuilder.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

0.2mm is less than 8 thou in old money, not a lot.
    Do you have a 27.2mm reamer?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my steel frame a bit ago. The seatpost was always a bit tight so I 'improvised' I got a length of 3/8th steel rod & cut a slot across one end, got some medium emery cloth & cut that into strips, making a very flappy 'flap wheel', crimped the flaps in by squashing the end of the rod in the vice, & went to work with the lecky drill a titchy bit at a time, trying the seatpost every few mins until it was a perfect fit. That was probly about 5 years ago, no ill effects.

PS, It took ages!

RoutineDean
    Free Member

Rather than reaming, wouldn't it be better or easier to have the seatpost itself turned down on a lathe?

nuke

Had an Orange Prestige frame (circa 1990) and the 27.0 post was always slipping so my LBS reamed the tube to take a 27.2mm seatpost…worked fine after that.

bassspine
    Free Member

Routine Dean – Member

Rather than reaming, wouldn't it be better or easier to have the seatpost itself turned down on a lathe?

I like your thinking. That's gotta be the easiest way to go.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd rather get the frame reamed out as it's for a retro 'theme' build. A 27.0 Syncros would do the job as I'm also using Syncros 1" threaded headset and Synros square taper BB.

If anybody spots a nice retro seatpost, let me know.

andrewh
    Free Member

I've got one (not for sale) but just letting you know it exists, USE did a 27.0mm Alien. Just another name for you to type into fleabay, maybe a good place to look?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How think are the frame walls? How much of a % of them is that 0.1 mm?

I have a bunch of adjustable reamers that could do the job but I personally would be doubtful about doing it for fear of weakening the frame

Timmo
    Free Member

wiggle do a 'system ex' seatpost in 27.0 for a tenner, seems a decent enough post, i know its not inwith the retro tyheme but an option,
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/System_EX_Alloy_Seat_Post/5360006738/

Edric64
    Free Member

Frames are thin as **** I wouldn't try it .Just get one the right size ffs

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Retrotastic

And you can still buy the shims…

IanMunro
    Free Member

As TJ says depending on the seat tube 0.1mm could be 25% of the metal.

Flaperon

Not an engineer (but a physicist) and IMHO you will seriously compromise the structural strength of either the frame or the seatpost by removing that quantity of metal, depending which you decide to modify.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I've got a 27.0 Fred Salmon post but just fancied something a bit nicer…
    I've managed to get everything else retro or Bonty, just need to do something with the seatpost.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Can a Cro-mo seat-tube be reamed by 0.1mm?’ is closed to new replies.