Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can a company pay a lower hourly rate for overtime ??
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Currently work for a massive worldwide recycling company and about to start a new contract,it states my hourly rate etc but for any overtime worked which is needed and plentiful , they are only offering minimum wage ?? .. can this be done legally ? .. paying a lower rate etc for OT ?

scotroutes

Yes – but is this a change to your current T&Cs?

tjagain

as scotroutes says –

you can only have your terms and conditions changed if you agree. Hve you agreed to a new contract? Simply don’t work overtime if they don’t pay you properly. What does your union say?

It would be very unusual to have a lower rate for overtime however

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sounds like they’re trying to discourage it to me

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

As its a new contract, its starting fresh , similar terms but havent seen the full contract as yet ! … hence not signed anything
    ive done plenty of OT in the past but if its at £7.20 then i wont be doing any and im waiting to hear from our unions over this ?

carlosg
    Free Member

I’m a postie , Royal Mail pay time and a half for the first 10 hours overtime after that it drops to time and a third for any remaining overtime worked. Doesn’t really affect me as I do very little overtime I’d rather be at home with family.

If the OP’s company are only going to pay minimum wage for overtime they might find themselves struggling to complete contracted work when employees get bored of earning less for their overtime after a few weeks.

badllama
    Free Member

I worked at a place that tried this. Basically no one then worked overtime they landed a big job and to get it done they needed staff in.

The rate went up and people did overtime again.

Just don’t do it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can a company pay a lower hourly rate for overtime ??’ is closed to new replies.