Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can a cheese be too smelly?
  • bubs

Just played the usual supermarche cheese Russian roulette and I may have met my Waterloo. I think it is trying to climb out of the fridge. Is there a line between lively and fetid?

Drac

Fridge for cheese?

Heathen.

thejesmonddingo

You need a cellar,ideal for cheese wine beer and the rest of a gentleman’s requisites.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

If it’s your own then no, someone else’s then definitely yes.

skink2020

If it’s a strathdon or a lanark blue, I understand. If it’s a supermarket cheese, just chuck it in the bin.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Call the

bubs

The fridge was for confinement purposes. Now the kids are in bed it has been released and it is already making its presence known, the kitchen smells like the local farmers have been spraying and it is now hammering at the sitting room door. I don’t use this word lightly but it definitely glistens.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes a cheese can be too smelly although we all have different levels of tolerance. Personally I’ve not found one yet I can’t eat but some are bordering on a “dare” to do so. Mrs J offers the following smelly suggestions

Epoisse (from Burgandy, I like this one a lot but in fairly small quantities not least as it usually follows a mega dinner 🙂 )
    Munster (French one from Alsace)
    Maroilles (from the North, quite legendary in terms of smelliness I’ve not tried it)

In research published in Nov 2004 by University of Cranfield the most smelly cheese ever found was …

Vieux Boulogne – only made made in Boulogne-sur-Mer by a single producer

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

bikemike1968
    Free Member

“Stinking Bishop” is very well named. When I worked for Waitrose (yes, I know…) we used to open it outside at 6 am. It was just about safe to put it on display for opening at 8.30.

It actually tastes quite nice, if you can get past the smell.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can a cheese be too smelly?’ is closed to new replies.