Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Campsites near interesting places – Lakes & Scotland (Midge net recommend too)
  • hora
    Free Member

Off for a week in a couple of weeks so decided to either travel straight upto Scotland or hit the Lakes first so….ideas of where to stop off?

Also – I’m the holy grail to Midges. Boy they love me. They dine out on my carrion so any midge nets for inside a tent recommendations too 🙂

IHN

Applecross for, well, being in Applecross
    Sligachan for the view

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Gorsebank, beside Dalbeattie 7 stanes, has a couple of lovely ‘wild camping’ spots. Gorsebank

Sands campsite is one of my favorite places, great site with stunning views. Gairloch

I don’t bother with midge nets and the like, just slap on the deet.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Arisaig for being Arisaig.

peterfile
    Free Member

Glenbrittle

ivorlott
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    Glenbrittle

😈

Sounds like you need a Beatons Midge Jacket

hora
    Free Member

That midget jacket is 😆

However a few years ago I was laughing at men wearing long knee length socks in Glentress….. then I found out why 😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sanna Bay, like Arisaig but without the riff raff.

Can I interest you in a pair of our tried and tested patented helmet compatible midge net goggles?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/w96VZV]Untitled[/url] by thegreatape, on Flickr

mikejd

+1 for Sligachan

jamesmio
    Free Member

MacDonald Hotel & Lodges (also has a campsite), Kinlochleven because, well THIS is your view when you wake up in the morning.

As with much of Scotland though, pack midge spray. And nets/masks. And possibly a flamethrower.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a Beatons Midge Jacket

I’ve always lucked out at Glenbrittle, the sea breeze is a godsend. 15 or so trips and only ever had a mild annoyance. Then again, I rarely go in the middle of summer!

Kinlochleven because, well THIS is your view when you wake up in the morning.

No, no, no, no 🙂

Kinlochleven is the Highland’s version of Luton.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Sligachan is lovely to look at but the phrase “midge infested hell hole” was invented there.

fergal
    Free Member

Kinlochleven is Grozny by the sea.

peterfile
    Free Member

Kinlochleven is Grozny by the sea

😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Kinlochleven is actually twinned with Rhyl.
    Gospel.

ElShalimo

Invercoe campsite, just outside Glencoe village.
    It’s on the shores of Loch Leven and the sunsets over distant Ardamurchan can be sensational.

ElShalimo

Invercoe campsite, just outside Glencoe village.
    It’s on the shores of Loch Leven and the sunsets over distant Ardamurchan can be sensational.

senorj

Campsite at grange near Keswick .
    Bottom of castle cragg.(borrowdale bash). Plus good paddling in the beck.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve heard that the islands are bad with ticks this year, mebbe best add removers to your list….?

scotroutes

Go to Mull.
    Camp at Fidden Farm.

You’ve got sea eagles, otters, seals etc. You’ve got your incredible geology. And you’ve got your mystical holy island (and a chocolate shop in Tobermory). You could even do a day trip to Ardnamurchan.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Red squirrel campsite (Glencoe) probably the most midge infested campsite I’ve ever been on, the best bit is the Clachaig pub a mile or so up the road well worth the friday night drive from the lakes

epicyclo

hora – Member
    …Also – I’m the holy grail to Midges. Boy they love me. They dine out on my carrion so any midge nets for inside a tent recommendations too

Take Vit B or eat Vegemite. Seems to help. Probably makes you smell bad to them.

globalti
    Free Member

Try to get some mosquito coils and burn one near the tent entrance; the midges hate them; it’s natural pyrethrum. Take a can of insecticide but don’t inhale it if you can help it as it will give you bronchitis.

Try to find the thread on midges from 2-3 weeks ago because somebody mentioned a site that has installed midge magnets and is midge-free.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Kilmarnock

It’s like a safari but the game hunt you.

peterfile
    Free Member

Red squirrel campsite (Glencoe) probably the most midge infested campsite I’ve ever been on, the best bit is the Clachaig pub a mile or so up the road well worth the friday night drive from the lakes

This time of year is a nightmare at RS, the midges aren’t the only thing that will ruin your peace and quiet. Actually, I say nightmare, but it’s nowhere near as bad as a big, busy lakes campsite for example (which always remind me of refugee camps in the middle of summer). But it WILL be busy and it WILL be pretty noisy when the pub kicks out.

Best off camping at invercoe and taking the long walk to the Clachaig (although you’ll almost always get a lift) if you really want to go to the pub and actually get some sleep. Ear plugs don’t quite cut it at RS when you’ve got wee neds from possil setting off deodorant cans in the fire 20ft from where you are sleeping.

Drac

One of these should do the trick.

khani
    Free Member

We’re into our third week of our tour in Scotland now, Loch Lomond was nice and fort Bill, Loch Ness was great and now we’re in Inverewe which is lovely but the only restaurant/pub type place is like Flowery ****..
    not been bitten yet and not used any Smidge,

fergal
    Free Member

“fort Bill was nice” where do you usually holiday chernobyl

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Rothiemurchus campsite just outside Aviemore has the midge munchers but make sure you book as they limit numbers and it gets booked up quickly.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Campsites near interesting places – Lakes & Scotland (Midge net recommend too)’ is closed to new replies.