Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Campsites in Chamonix (motorhome friendly) ?
  • BFITH
    Free Member

MIL an FIL are planning a trip around europe this summer taking in a few countries. They’d like to visit Chamonix at some point. So, any recommendations for a Motorhome friendly site within walking distance of the town centre?

zomersetglider

Hi, we are going down to Chamonix in our van in September & this site frequently comes up with good,positive reviews…………

http://www.chamonix.com/camping-le-grand-champ,117-209422,en.html

mugsys_m8

Under the Aiguille du Midi lift. It’s within walking distance to the town centre, and obviously the lift queues and it’s a very tolerant area. Lots of other travellers.

mugsys_m8

🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP you do realise Chamonix is a big busy town!??!

Not somewhere I would want to stay within. Some lovely areas just outside Chamonix but I would be avoiding the centre

BFITH
    Free Member

OP you do realise Chamonix is a big busy town!??!

Yes… I was there last summer – we stayed in Les Houches and travelled in on the train when we needed to 😀 . Doesnt have to be central , just within walking distance.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can’t they ‘camp’ some where nice and then just drive in to the centre and park up?

I thought that was the advantage of motor homes?

BFITH
    Free Member

drive in to the centre and park up?

They prefer to set up camp/awning etc and explore on foot/bike from there.

pyranha

If they want a site and not the Aire, the Isles des Barrats has been good for us, we’ve stayed there with hike tents, big family tent and with a motorhome. It’s probably going to be busy in high season (living in Scotland we tend to go before everyone else starts their holidays). It’s always been welcoming and not far into the centre.

Some of the pitches are a bit tight for a big motorhome so not great for getting in and out every day, but if walking and cycling are their thing, then that shouldn’t be an issue.

andrewreay

Not quite walkable, but a lovely site with its own restaurant.

The bus to town is free and frequent.

Great views of the glaciers.

Motorhome friendly.

Les Deux Glaciers

slowoldman

It’s been many years now but I’ve camped at the Mer de Glace site which was really nice. Current reviews look good. Less than two miles from the centre of Cham (pleasant flat stroll), cracking views of the Dru and Frendo Spur if they like that sort of thing.

BFITH
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, people. I’ll pass them on.

bonchance
    Free Member

+ 1 mer de glace

(danger of getting confused with a poo ice cream – take care!)

ianfitz
    Free Member

Also stayed at MerDe Glacé. Nice site, would happily go back.

Not s**t and I can’t remember having ice cream there…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Campsites in Chamonix (motorhome friendly) ?’ is closed to new replies.